Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling Haines Sig to get a Vindicator

Re: Selling Haines Sig to get a Vindicator

Rebel is 16 degree dead rise. How do they ride?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Seems to be a trend in plate boats in the last ten years or so to make as "big" a boat as you can for the length.Some of these things are near as wide as they are long. All the good design principles go out the door when you start doing this stuff--people want high freeboard, but they also want a self draining deck, so the COG gets high, which never helps in any situation. Then they want beam, for deck space,and "stability" but that comes at a cost. You simply cannot design a good hull that has to transition from a nice entry to a wide beam over a short distance, as so many of these 5.5 metre boats seem to be trying to do. So you get a hard ride, and maybe also following sea issues as well. I certainly wouldn't be swapping a pretty good hull for a shorter platey, I think you will really regret it.

I had a 6.2 Vindicator and it definitely did not broach, I had been in very rough conditions in it and always felt very safe and knew that I would get home in it. The boat was well built and very functional.

I bought a larger boat.
    Fido

Just buy a cat and get the stability, ride and huge deck space all in one.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

No doubt the Vindicator will give you more deck space, even if you downsize a bit, but surely the narrower & heavier Haines will be a better performing sea hull.
    What engines are you looking at?

Fido I will send you a private message.

The Vindicator is slightly heavier. Looking at the Yam 150hp. Going for a run in the 5.8m soon.

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Just went from a Seafarer Victory to a 7.1 Platey. The Victory wins hands down in the ride department. The new platey has the advantage of the bigger deck, bigger bow. Just got to get used to the different sounds the plate boat makes coming from the fibreglass boat. Go and have a look at Compass boats. I was very impressed with his build and rate them as good as a Riptide.

Thanks. I have spoke to Ralph and also, Performance Plate and Rebel. Vindicator is big $$ for the boat. Trying to organise a run in a Performance Plate.

Sam at Performance plate is the go if your looking for value for money bud, good luck let me know how you get on..

A FYI on the " beamy " situation.

My 2000 model Pacific Sport Fish Super Vee 6.2 centre cab had this issue, not bad, but definitely there.

Finally fixed it with weight distribution. Seems she likes a heavy ass . We would place the eskies at the transom for our following sea run home and no broaching any more.

This can also be countered by trim. Too many people are not pro-active with their trim while traveling.

Always compare apples with apples.... hull mm's, deadrise, true length ( waterline ), max HP and also the Centre of Gravity by way of targa's etc, plays a role in their handling. And where the fuel tank is positioned.

There is no such thing as the perfect boat, only the perfect boat for you.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Watto do you have a Performance Plate?

Thanks Lucky Phil. Regarding the fuel tank, I have noticed some at the back and some move it forward a bit. What is the best position?

No mate, just been out in a couple and a good mate of mine does the fit outs on them for Sam.

I own a seafarer victory myself.

If you want to go for a ride in one, get in touch with Sam he is a good bloke and I am sure he can organise a run in one for you.

Must say been out in some cracker Plateys but seriously u won't get a better ride than fibreglass .
    I own a 680 encore Haines!!
    down fall deck space could be bigger
    Been caught out in 20 plus That's when I realised why I own a Haines fibreglass 👍 Loved it
    But must say mates Noosa cat
    Is a weapon to in the puss .

Noosacat are nice big soft riding boats, but not everyone cup of tea. But awesome boat nontheless.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Seems to be a trend in plate boats in the last ten years or so to make as "big" a boat as you can for the length.Some of these things are near as wide as they are long. All the good design principles go out the door when you start doing this stuff--people want high freeboard, but they also want a self draining deck, so the COG gets high, which never helps in any situation. Then they want beam, for deck space,and "stability" but that comes at a cost. You simply cannot design a good hull that has to transition from a nice entry to a wide beam over a short distance, as so many of these 5.5 metre boats seem to be trying to do. So you get a hard ride, and maybe also following sea issues as well. I certainly wouldn't be swapping a pretty good hull for a shorter platey, I think you will really regret it.
    sounds like a 5.2 kevlacat would fit the bill nicely..light to tow..economical..twin engine for safety..self draining deck..superior ride and stability..huge deck..no waiting time for build..can customise to owners specifications...not plate but..for around 40k for one that needs a bit of loving to 80k for one that's had everything done already..it would be hard to go past..it would leave your current boat for dead in every aspect exept accomadation...
    A lot of people buy plate so they can customise..ive never had a glass boat that I havnt been able to customise with a good fibreglasser....just my 2 bobs worth..everyone has different needs & wants I guess