Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steering cable replacement

Re: Steering cable replacement

Well the steering cable has hit a slight hurdle, the cable is the wrong size, I stupidly assumed the correct one was going to be supplied without quoting the old one.

Now the mad rush tomorrow to try and get the correct length. In any case the bolts are removed and engine is on hoist waiting to be reinstalled once the correct cable is out back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck tomorrow and keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buggar. Did you say a few words at the time?
    David

Now that you have the cable out, check the tiller tube on the port side, there should an O ring just inside, if not find one the right size, I think from memory they are 11mm but could be another size, this will help as this could be the source of your water ingress. The grease nipple on the tiller tube only lubricates the inner and outer sleeve and not the steering rod as many people think.

Thanks guys for all your help, really appreciated. All up 3 hours labor and a great deal of satisfaction that we did it ourselves.

Would I do it again, yep sure would.

Skifalls,
    Please note the comment of NOT GREASING THE SHAFT. If you do you will have issues. Power steering oil is the go.
    And remember each time you go past the motor, give a shove from side to side.
    David
    l

I’ve removed all grease from the shaft with mercury metho and given a light spray with Innox until I pickup some correct fluid

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    Skifalls,
    Please note the comment of NOT GREASING THE SHAFT. If you do you will have issues. Power steering oil is the go.
    And remember each time you go past the motor, give a shove from side to side.
    David
    l
    Some years ago there was a mob selling a cable self oiling kit - basically a reservoir under the helm with oil in it that the end of the cable dipped into whenever you went full lock one way - the oil then worked it's way down the cable with the motion of steering. Not sure whether they are still available or just how successfully they worked. Sounded good in theory though.

It was called a cable buddy. That is a you tube link to the unit.
    David