Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Re: 2 stroke end in sight

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I donít no mate I love the cackle of my 2 stroke 60 hp early in the morning idling at Attachment 116809the ramp and in 960 hrs never had a problem starting it in 12 yrs . But I will say if it dies itís the only time I will replace it with a 4 stroke

Hey champion of the blue collar little people LOL. You do realize grey lids are only half a Merc right ?

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Hey champion of the blue collar little people LOL. You do realize grey lids are only half a Merc right ?
    Funny you should say that as my cousin bought a boat at the same time but his had the black top and that was the only difference that we could find . I still love that boat and motor itís served me well and been super reliable ,even the batteries lasted 9 years and didnít fail me I just had one that started to show lower volts on my furuno so thought I might change them out ... Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

hi bluefin59, regarding the longevity of your engine 960 hours, what do you guestimate on how many more hours you could get out of it?also liking the color of your boat and i saw a bluefin 4.8 yesterday, first time and sure does look good , bigger than i thought , looks real good those bluefins.

I truely believe my motor runs and feels the same as the day I bought it so I guess another 1000 hrs , iv heard from an ex charter bloke that he got 3000 hrs out of one mate . I have always used quicksilver premium 2 stroke oil and had the motor serviced every yr for the first 9 yrs and every 2 yrs since as I donít use it as much . It is going in for a service this year and Mal from creek marine does a great service and even does the fuel pump seal every time,I have never used the primer attached to the underfloor tank . The boat was set up right from the first day I got it from Mr Ts tinnies when they existed,I have recently replaced the floor and trailer but I have had it since 2004 itís been a great boat mate . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

2000 easily for a well looked after 2 stroke. I have seen net boats running 2 stroke carby motors and others with Opti's with over 2000 and running like new.

2 stroke carby motors are simple and effective.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

The paint does you credit Matt. Fantastic strong boats these Blue Fins.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    I love my 2 x 2st's. and sure they stink, and yes i would happily own a nice new 4st(no choice in the near future). But it's not so easy for all of us to just whip out of the ATM the many thousands it will cost to replace them, so I will have to enjoy what I have for the foreseeable future.
    Maybe a 2st. buy back amnesty like they did with guns!
    Hence my comment ...... "By choice"
    Replacing a motor is a big cost ...... even for those that can afford it -
    I'm on ok coin - but regardless when I upgraded to a bigger motor last year .... it meant putting things on the back burner & rearranging priorities for the next couple of years just to make it happen .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Funny you should say that as my cousin bought a boat at the same time but his had the black top and that was the only difference that we could find . I still love that boat and motor itís served me well and been super reliable ,even the batteries lasted 9 years and didnít fail me I just had one that started to show lower volts on my furuno so thought I might change them out ... Matt
    Matt

My Mariner 75 (1995) was just a de-tuned Mercury 90 .... & yes the only difference was the cowling cover. Badge engineering at it's purist .
    I was lucky to know a guy who knew a guy who was one of the major Mercury / Mariner dealers in Sydney (Andrew Short) - When my motor was being fitted they had the two motors side by side to demonstrate just that.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

[QUOTE=NAGG;1640678]Matt

My Mariner 75 (1995) was just a de-tuned Mercury 90 .... & yes the only difference was the cowling cover. Badge engineering at it's purist .
    I was lucky to know a guy who knew a guy who was one of the major Mercury / Mariner dealers in Sydney (Andrew Short) - When my motor was being fitted they had the two motors side by side to demonstrate just that.

Those 3 cyl models absolutely bullet proof with the exception of the delaminating oil level magnet. Great motors.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

[QUOTE=Steeler;1640680]
    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Matt

Those 3 cyl models absolutely bullet proof with the exception of the delaminating oil level magnet. Great motors.
    when my 90 yammie blew up, several mechanics said, bang for buck, get Merc 90. I have it had for a few years now, hanging on the back of a Quintrex, it runs like a champ, but mostly i can't believe how quiet it is when under way. I can be cruising between 4500/5000 rpm and still a normal conversation!

[QUOTE=Steeler;1640680]
    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Matt

The motor it's self was pretty well rock solid ....... tuning & service was critical to keep it running well - every 100 hrs was virtually a must. But it had it's breakdowns ( thermostat) - oil injector. Ended up replacing it with a 90 yammi 2 stroke after about 5 years. ..... which still had it's little niggles.
    My bias comes from virtually 12 years of trouble free boating with the Yammi 4 strokes. The exception- was my first 60Hp that needed the gearbox replaced during it's 20 hr run in period (faulty build) ..... what was impressive is how Yamaha handled it ( replaced in 2 days) ..... since that moment there has not even been a cough ...... & maybe only on 2 occasions where I have had to turn the key twice to start the motor.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

glad to hear the positives on the merc two strokes, mines a 3cyl model and only 126 hrs so looks like ive got a hell of a long time use of it and sounds like they are a very good outboard, thanks for your thoughts, hmmmmmmmm now how can i convince my wife to get a bluefin wrangler TT.....

Yamaha 2 stroke,3 cyl,40hp,13 years old and 1400hrs mostly at full noise and it has just let go internally.Not one problem till then. Pretty happy but I thought it was going to last forever...
    I am not in danger, I am the danger - Walter White