Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke end in sight

2 stroke end in sight

After July 1, 2019, any carbie outboards in stock at dealers or importers must be destroyed or re-exported. Those engines in operation and privately owned are still OK to use. The regulations apply to the sale of new engines only.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Re: 2 stroke end in sight

Do you have a reference for that statement?

No need for a reference. Old news. It's happening. Initially it becomes illegal to import new engines then further down the track illegal to sell them and existing stock is required to be destroyed. Not illegal to own one or sell second hand privately

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No need for a reference. Old news. It's happening. Initially it becomes illegal to import new engines then further down the track illegal to sell them and existing stock is required to be destroyed. Not illegal to own one or sell second hand privately
    Which means a dealer will put one in a boat as a demo and sell it as second hand😉

Yes, just upgraded my tender outboard on the basis they will be phased out on 1 July. During my enquiries dealers wouldn't bring outboards in if they didn't already have them in stock. So had to ring around to find dealers with stock (Yamaha 2st 8hp).

A quick Google will find you the relevant rules applying from 1 July.

Get your carby 2 stroke and hang onto it, cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Can't say that I will be rushing out to buy one and keep it.

Haha...thought some people would say that. Horses for courses. I just read a reprint of Peter Webster's Australian Boating test of a 15hp Yammy 4 stroke v 15hp Yammy 2 stroke...very little in it at cruising RPM (10% fuel difference) and personally in some applications i would prefer the reliability and simplicity of a 2 stroke over the slight fuel gain and much quieter idle of a 4.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's a weight thing

so what is the difference in weight of say a 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and a 90 hp Yamaha 4 Stroke?
    My understanding is imports stop as at 1 July this year, and they have 12 months to sell them. After that the initial post details applies.
    David.

Some HP there is quite a weight difference, some not much at all.

As an example, a new 70 4 stroke is only 120KG, the 3 cylinder 2 stroke is 123KG, in the 90HP, the 4 stroke is much heavier at around 160KG than the old 3 cylinder 90 2 stroke.

Absolutely Noelm. Horses for courses. I would go a 4 stroke in a number of situations and a 2 stroke in others. I have to say I'm loving the Tohatsu 40hp 2 stroke oil injected that I have now. Very fuel efficient on the plane.
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very true about different applications and which one is better in the eye of the beholder. I bought a 50hp oil injected Yamaha 2 stroke about a year ago to replace a tired 3 cylinder premix 50 Yamaha on an existing boat when the news first broke, and on that boat I wouldn’t have anything else, certainly wouldn’t have had a 4 stroke. But that isn’t a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke argument totally, I think those 3 cylinder oil injected Yamaha’s are a sweet motor. At the time I heard stock wasn’t real high so I’m glad I got one at the time.

Like wise I just replaced a 2 year old 2 stroke Yamaha 15 on the inflatable with a new 25 4 stroke, mainly because I got over mixing oil and more importantly it’s at our holiday house and with other people using it, it would only be a matter of time before someone put fuel in without oil. That and Yamaha released a light enough 25 4 stroke that didn’t need a battery. It is a pretty sweet motor too. Much like the old 15, also a really nice motor which I still have one in the shed “just in case” but on that boat the 25 suits the application better.

I don’t really buy the nostalgia of the 2 strokes, though Their simplicity can often be appreciated in some locations. In saying that, with clean fuel I am yet to have any type of reliability issue with a 4 stroke, and that’s across 8 or nine engines. Though when I compare the 2 v 4 stroke in the Yamaha 50 of which I have had both I would take the 2 all day long, above that though it’s purely 4 stroke territory for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The old v4 evinrude 115’s I have will be staying on for as long as they are reliable, a 8hr drift fishing day at the banks I use 70l of fuel per side, cheap compared to 30k for new donks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁