Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke end in sight

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: 2 stroke end in sight

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    What has the ban on 2 strokes got to with aircon and co2 emissions.
    It is to stop 2 strokes polluting the waterways with fuel and oil and nothing to do with co2.
    the point is your on a sinking ship mate your goin down as countrys who will decide wether this planet will stop using excess co2 from the power sations being built every day to run the aircons and us little aussies with plenty of fresh air gotta ban all our toys.. it sucks mate.. and most crude oil comes from the ocean from rotting matters co2.. not saying its the same as im not a scientist but im sure our waterways can handle the few of us staunch little 2 stroke lovers if everyone else aint gonna sacrifice there co2 causing behaviours. to answer ur point if the air cant be breathed the water ways are useless.
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Aussie don't let facts get in the way of a good stouch. But yep. Mind you I stand by my right to run a small 2 stroke while I maintain my vege only lifestyle. It's all about nett impact.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    lol ozscott i love your unwavering belief in your right to decide.. oooo wait cant do that we gotta be told whats good for us.. mmm last check that isnt doing so well..

Ausfish Silver Member

i believe even in this stouch as ozscott calls it lol.. that we all genuinely care about each other our planet and the right to breath fresh air. you love 4 strokes i love 2. and if and i mean if and i dont think so even if you do, that we could get the whole world to reduce emissions in the water air or anywhere. that we can stop it.. this planet is going down hippies you can struggle kick and scream at us but we aint the ones doing 95% of the damage..

Ausfish Silver Member

But m8 the energy, materials and pollutants to make several cars that he would have been through had he 'upgraded' like so many do would well outway his motor's rich state of petrol tune...speaking of which there are a few smug modern diesel drivers that might be interested to know that the rich running petrol motor with worn rings is not as bad for people as the 'cleantech' new diesel from only a couple of years ago...there is a reason Stutgart and Dusseldorf has banned any diesel but the very latest from their cities.

Cheers

im with u ozscott but hey man i gotta admit i was wondering if the barrels were using any fuel or it was just coming out the exhaust lol

Everyone has an opinion Chris. You clearly didn't enjoy 2 stroke ownership!

Cheers

no .... i had 2 strikes for nearly 10 years ..... then my next 2 boats were fitted with 4 strokes - t didn't take long to work out the advantages ...... and it had nothing to do with brand loyalty ( I went from Yammi 2 stroke to Yammi 4 stroke) .

anecdotally ..... reliability still reigns with 4 stroke

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    no .... i had 2 strikes for nearly 10 years ..... then my next 2 boats were fitted with 4 strokes - t didn't take long to work out the advantages ...... and it had nothing to do with brand loyalty ( I went from Yammi 2 stroke to Yammi 4 stroke) .

anecdotally ..... reliability still reigns with 4 stroke

Chris

noone disagress even most 2 stroke lovers, that 4 strokes are smoother, quiter, more fuel efficient, and leaving the environment out of it for a minute.. its not about the hippies tellin us whats good.. for most its about the raw raucous feel of a 2 stroke in ur hand that.. well i love.. before 4 strokes took over we all praised our trusty little and yes noisey motors,, hey ill tell you all this much dont ever drive a v8 350 chevy ever again and definately dont love the old school carby aspurated roar.... see the point we dont say there not noisey etc we say there old school engines that are maybe even a nostalga.. for some.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I wouldn't equate smelly old 2 stroke outboards with 70's muscle cars. I own, ride and love a Norton Commando, best of the seventies, IMO ( let the war begin), but I was glad to get out of two stroke outboards. No performance advantages, thirsty, less reliable. Do you REALLY like that squeeze the bulb>choke> push the idle lever up> crank crank crank> bang splutter miss bang BBBRRRAAAnnnggg big cloud of smoke, juggle the lever to keep it alight? keeping spare plugs and a plug spanner at all times? Too many bad memories of drifting at sea with a cowling off wondering WTF has gone wrong this time. Pulling them until your hands literally bled, being towed in--I had probably one of the best two strokes ever made, a 90hp 3 cylinder Yamaha, with less than 500 hours on it when I sold the boat, and over several years of ownership, cost me far more and gave me more grief than the F115 Yamaha I replaced it with. And that motor had 1300 hours on it, now has nearly 1800, not a single issue apart from a worn out TPS that just made it fart about at certain revs. never stopped it. launch it, touch the key, idles away quietly. And this "holeshot" BS is just that. Replacing twin 60hp two strokes with a single F115 gave, on that 5.65m glass boat, identical acceleration, top speed, and half the fuel consumption. Or only a quarter of it at fast trolling speeds. No nostalgia for old two strokes here, bury the ####ers.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I wouldn't equate smelly old 2 stroke outboards with 70's muscle cars. I own, ride and love a Norton Commando, best of the seventies, IMO ( let the war begin), but I was glad to get out of two stroke outboards. No performance advantages, thirsty, less reliable. Do you REALLY like that squeeze the bulb>choke> push the idle lever up> crank crank crank> bang splutter miss bang BBBRRRAAAnnnggg big cloud of smoke, juggle the lever to keep it alight? keeping spare plugs and a plug spanner at all times? Too many bad memories of drifting at sea with a cowling off wondering WTF has gone wrong this time. Pulling them until your hands literally bled, being towed in--I had probably one of the best two strokes ever made, a 90hp 3 cylinder Yamaha, with less than 500 hours on it when I sold the boat, and over several years of ownership, cost me far more and gave me more grief than the F115 Yamaha I replaced it with. And that motor had 1300 hours on it, now has nearly 1800, not a single issue apart from a worn out TPS that just made it fart about at certain revs. never stopped it. launch it, touch the key, idles away quietly. And this "holeshot" BS is just that. Replacing twin 60hp two strokes with a single F115 gave, on that 5.65m glass boat, identical acceleration, top speed, and half the fuel consumption. Or only a quarter of it at fast trolling speeds. No nostalgia for old two strokes here, bury the ####ers.
    lol u let the war begin alright.... naaaa its all good mate. see the thing is i aint gonna judge ur bike or oldmates 4 stroke or joe noones toys.. as said some like 2 strokes some dont. u dont like em and in your words bury the f$%%^&... well i will be using em for a while to come.. and still love em.. and i must say that was a very detailed description of what u think of 2 strokes, 10 points for effort and imagination lol but one must wonder if thats where ur bad memories/like of 2 strokes comes from.. as for me almost all my motors were a joy to own.. and hey your bike is noisier then my little outboard.

Ausfish Silver Member

and the comparison was that just like a basic 2 stroke outboard an older chev motor had spark fuel (carbys) and away they went..we didnt need to bolt 100 things to em to make em go.

Ausfish Platinum Member

And most of those things they bolt onto them make them start easier, idle better, use less fuel--me and outboards go back a long way. Memories like going out to Montague island from Narooma for a dive, I must have been about 17 ( so 1970?) w with older guys. Pull start tiller steering 40hp Johnson on a 14ft Quintrex--"wow, it has a flared bow" came up from the dive, motor wouldn't start. Towed back to the lighthouse jetty by the other tinny with us, then HE couldn't get started. These blokes weren't mugs, but, y'know, just having a carbie and points doesn't meant the ####er will go. We both had to be towed in by a local fishing boat over the Narooma bar, I still remember him hitting bottom as we crossed. More bad, unreliable old 2 strokes over the years, sick from the smell, never reliable to start. Fast forward to 1976, I'm working for an ab diver in Port Lincoln. 15 ft open glass boat, 50hp tiller steering pull start Evinrude. Hard to start, got stuck out there one day, Pulled until I bled, had sea ulcers on my hands for months afterwards from the damage. Yeah, points and carbies are always good, what could go wrong. They weren't too bad if you bought them new, then changed over every couple of years. Modern four strokes may be relatively complex, but let me put this to you--how many auxiliaries do you see on transoms nowadays? Mandatory on bigger old two stroke rigs, more or less redundant now.
    I rest my case.

Ausfish Silver Member

And most of those things they bolt onto them make them start easier, idle better, use less fuel--me and outboards go back a long way. Memories like going out to Montague island from Narooma for a dive, I must have been about 17 ( so 1970?) w with older guys. Pull start tiller steering 40hp Johnson on a 14ft Quintrex--"wow, it has a flared bow" came up from the dive, motor wouldn't start. Towed back to the lighthouse jetty by the other tinny with us, then HE couldn't get started. These blokes weren't mugs, but, y'know, just having a carbie and points doesn't meant the ####er will go. We both had to be towed in by a local fishing boat over the Narooma bar, I still remember him hitting bottom as we crossed. More bad, unreliable old 2 strokes over the years, sick from the smell, never reliable to start. Fast forward to 1976, I'm working for an ab diver in Port Lincoln. 15 ft open glass boat, 50hp tiller steering pull start Evinrude. Hard to start, got stuck out there one day, Pulled until I bled, had sea ulcers on my hands for months afterwards from the damage. Yeah, points and carbies are always good, what could go wrong. They weren't too bad if you bought them new, then changed over every couple of years. Modern four strokes may be relatively complex, but let me put this to you--how many auxiliaries do you see on transoms nowadays? Mandatory on bigger old two stroke rigs, more or less redundant now.
    I rest my case.

lol ranmar i dont respect most people who put down my 2 strokes when i dont put down there choice of toys.. but you man u dont need to walk under a ladder or see a black cat u just need to go out in a 2 stroke ha ha.. u aint comin out in my boat i do not want to row home.. i can see why ud hate em lol
    i admitted 4 strokes are smoother quiter more reliable etc. and to be honest i dont know why i like 2 strokes maybe its all ive known.. and maybe just maybe when i own my 1st 4 stroke which is coming ill know what u know.. only thing i can think of is there basic and i like basic..

Memories (good or bad) aside, reliability aside, 2 strokes are being banned simply because they burn oil with the fuel, that dirty exhaust comes out IN the water, as can be easily witnessed by the oil slick, plenty of impoundments have banned 2 strokes for years, nothing new there, it's just that it's spread further until a total sales ban has been scheduled. Any boater over about 20 years old has owned a 2 stroke, because there was nothing else, nothing to do with loving or hating them, just like your old Victa mower, there was little choice but to mow the lawn in a cloud of smoke. As far as cars go, it's a whole different issue to mixing oil in the fuel, so that argument is not valid.

That's a pretty good summary of what I remember ...... & we are only talking mid 1990's to mid 2000's . The 75hp Mariner that I had ( oil inj) started to play up within a couple of years - cold mornings or being left idle for any more than a couple of weeks . I think I got 6 years out of it before I replaced it with the 90 yammi (2 stroke) . Now it was a much better motor & better suited the 5.35M CC but it would every now & then have it's moments ..... trolling (oiling up) ..... some days could take a few minutes to fire up - you need to get the choke setting right blah blah blah - then always have to remember to fill the oil reservoir / take oil with you . Up & running it was a grunty motor ..... sure . But even with being well serviced (& it was only 4 years old when I sold the boat - maybe 300hrs) there was always that lingering ... "I hope the motor starts" in the back of your mind.
    The last 12 years I've had 2 boats 60,70 & 100 Yammi 4 bangers (upgraded from a 70 to 100) ...... that 12 years has been hassle free boating - no oil to worry about , economical , no fumes . (I wish I could say that about trailers)

But even comparing todays technology ..... some of the latest generation 4 bangers have shed some serious weight .... so even the power to weight argument is going out the window.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have had a bad run with old abused 2 strokes that were premix and pull start and a fantastic run with more modern (2000 omwards) 2 strokes with oil injection and choke at the helm. I sold my Vagabond with a completely reliable 2000 model v4 Yammy 2 stroke. I have a 40hp 2004 Tohatsu oil injected now. Just as an example I spent 4 days at Lake Monduran recently. First day primed the bulb 5 pumps or so, pressed key to engage choke and turned key and within 2 seconds she was idling (didn't set the idle high with the tillar arm either). Rest of the days didn't prime (use a good quality US made bulb...) and literally started immediately like it was hot (even though this was first up in the morning and engine dead cold and cool conditions). Performed like a dream.

2 strokes do not require the service costs of a 4 and most guys at home can service a 2 stroke. As for fuel usage the 4's big advantage is part throttle fast trolling speed but up on the plane smashing along the testing shows there is very little in it.

There is very little to go wrong with a 2 stroke and in good brands since 2000 or so they tend not to go wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I like 4 strokes but they are complex to get their advantages and for some applications 2 stroke is the best option.

Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Bronze Member

Whenever this topic comes up there are all sorts of fallacies pedalled around.
    2 strokes are not being banned. The SALE of new 2 stroke carby and EFI models only will be banned. The sale of direct injection 2 strokes will continue. If you own a carby or EFI 2 stroke you can continue to use it. The use of 2 strokes is not being banned.