Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke end in sight

Re: 2 stroke end in sight

Thanks for the info I hadn’t realised this was the case. I guess it was coming eventually though, it will be interesting to see if it affects the 4 stroke pricing at all? Imagine it will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked View Post
    Thanks for the info I hadn’t realised this was the case. I guess it was coming eventually though, it will be interesting to see if it affects the 4 stroke pricing at all? Imagine it will not.
    If prices are affected it will probably be negatively from a consumer perspective - no cheap competition from your own or anyone elses brand.

difference in weight between 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke V 4 stroke, is an extra 40 kg
    David

Ausfish Silver Member

as said by oldmate having to find a 8 yammie by ringing around, and just as one example the brisbane yammie dealers are now out of stock on a few models of 2 strokes and although 1 july 19 sounds about right.. no dealer will be stuck with engines and most i talk to are not buying in many big orders as of now and they may not stock any at all this year.. yes the 4 stroke is quiet clean efficent, but i would get a 2 stroke now if u want one..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

After my old one was just about to self destruct ,and much hunting there are no new Yammie 40hp 2stroke 3cyl avail anywhere in australia.I was not going to pay $8K for a 4 stroke Yammie.Mate has a new one on his similar weight/size boat and there no comparison in hole shot and top end with the 2 stroke far superior albeit fuel burn.

how do you suppose part replacements may get scarce? should one start ordering carbie kits etc?

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    how do you suppose part replacements may get scarce? should one start ordering carbie kits etc?
    with the big name outboards u can safely spose they will have parts for at least 10 years maybe more. and then as much as i love me 2 strokes we will after parts dry up all be running 4 strokes...

Yeeha about time a full 4 stroke marker minus the option and etc.... this should drive down the price on second hand motors over the next 10 to 15 years, at the moment 4 stroke outboards brand new are rediculous expensive
    Price wise I would take a 2 stroke over 4 but for leading technology I would take a 4 over a 2, I can't foresee the prices.coming down as it goes if people are paying for something why charge less

Ausfish Silver Member

hard to pick hey gazza. (will 4 stroke prices go up or down with no competition) i thing most of us aussies hold onto our motors, and if they want to sell x amount of motors per year and we are all holding onto them longer as they cost so much then im reckoning 4 stroke prices will have to come down.. and thats the thing gazza we wont be paying for em regualry enough if they are 2 dear..

When they are gone, we wont miss them at all. Do you miss the horse and buggy? Life will go on and you will buy what ever is available and thus readjust your calculations to suit. Personally, its about breathing cleaner air and it should of happened ten years ago.

Ausfish Silver Member

i wont miss them when i got a smoother quiter, more fuel effecient engine. but i will miss having the choice/option of getting a 2 stoke 26kg 9.9 for me little tinnie...

I would miss reliability, performance and running costs (ie self servicing). Especially Yammy and Tohatsu. I like the smell too. Won't miss noise. For my Fishing which is mostly flat out then leccy fuel use benefit of a 4 stroke with a 40hp would be 10 percent or nothing at all if I went to a 50 - 60hp 4 to keep the grunt.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Bronze Member

Hi Gazza, when you say "but for leading technology I would take a 4 over a 2". The most technologically advanced and cleanest running outboard engine is the Evinrude G2. Do yourself a favour and go for a run in one. Nearly everyone who does is blown away by them, except the haters of course.

Ausfish Silver Member

dont matter what we think anymore because its a done deal.. no more 2 stroke outboards in australia. i undertand the enviromental issues etc, but tell me this when i take my 9.9hp 2 stroke up the esturaies and mostly only at cruise speed, how much pollution do i spill compared to v8 speed boats etc..

With the thousands of 2 strokes still running happily out there, there will be plenty to choose from for many years to come, for the die hard fans that still want them!