Thread: Cape Moreton 07-01-2018

Red face Cape Moreton 07-01-2018

After seeing the weather report for Sunday, a mate and i took the opportunity to head out from the cape to get the freezers full. We decided to head out after work Saturday, sink some baits and sleep at curtain. Unfortunately curtain was a bit of a car park and the current was roaring so no reports here. we started the drive out at 4 am Sunday morning and hit some ground near the containers for our first drift. a good show put us onto 4 good pearly's, 1 rat king and an unstoppable (most likely a big XO king as i was bringing in a little pearly when it took). a few more drifts saw us boat another 2 pearls and a few snapper (38-56). By this point the fishing had slowed and we had a few boats running the same line as us not getting fish so we decided to beef up our gear and head deeper and sound out some kings. we found the fish in 130m of water and in a matter of 10 minutes boated 3 solid kings each around a meter in length. chasing that last fish, i dropped a 300 gram knife jig into the mix and hooked an unstoppable. 30 minutes and 1klm later.. it wasn't to be. we got some great footage though, not sure how to add it to the post. not a bad way to christen the new (to me) boat. All said and done home for a beer in the arvo, not a bad trip.. in fact i'm eating kingfish ceviche right now .

For anyone interested:

There is a heap of bait scattered along the cape reefs (Brennan's primarily) i wouldn't be surprised if they are holding decent mackerel at the moment as we saw plenty of surface action. plenty of reef fish active in water over 100m. king's active in slightly deeper depths hugging bait balls, same as usual find the bait/find the fish.

Good luck all and happy new year!

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Cape Moreton 07-01-2018

Good report, would love to see the footage.
    Sounds like a good trip!