Thread: Yahoo Wahoo!

Yahoo Wahoo!

After hearing reports from a mate who landed 5 Dollies yesterday off the Gold Coast, I decided that today was a great day for a troll.

Headed out early and started in a couple of likely areas between the 50 and 60 meter line to the North where I had success in the past but to no avail. The radio also was very quiet with few reports in of boats hooking up. Seems like it may have been a bit of a fizzer of a day.

Not to be one that gives up we pushed deeper to 80 meters in some of the bluest water I have seen and warm as well - we hovered between 27 and 28 degrees at times. Whilst trolling around a reef system looking for Mahi we spotted quite a few shows on the bottom so we put the trolling gear away for a while and got out the bottom gear.

The current was actually pretty good for summer and within a couple of hours we have a nice feed of Snapper, Pearl Perch, and Spangled Emporer onboard and were relieved the day would not be a total loss. Whilst drifting we did notice an increasing amount of flying fish and as we were heading to the last couple of hours before the tide we were back on the troll.

Lures out we followed a couple of current lines and about half an hour in the short corner screams off on a long run for about 20 seconds. The first reaction was a dolly or black but as the fight developed it was clear it was something else due to the big runs and deep dives. FIrst thought was a decent Tuna, but then seeing flashes of silver and the sleek profile a big Spanish came to mind.

A few minutes later after some more sizzling runs, the fish was boat side and I was stoked to see a big Wahoo with the Pakula firmly wedged in its mouth. I have been after a Wahoo for quite a while and this one was a cracker. A good Gaff shot had it onboard and there were a few high fives for landing such a prize fish. The fish ended up about 135 cms and around 18kgs so a good feed will be had by all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wahoo BV.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	116640

Re: Yahoo Wahoo!

Nice fish well done.