Thread: Bigger Boat for FNQ

Bigger Boat for FNQ

It's been a while since I have posted here but I lurk around now and then and the knowledge here is really helpful.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current 4.2m stessco catcher (modified with centre console) to fit the growing family and allow fishing on less than perfect days. I mainly fish around the inshore islands South of Cairns and head out to the reef on good days (about a 30-35km run from where I am). I also the boat regularly to run down the river to the family beach hut which for those that know the area is at Russell Heads. This means anchoring and sometimes beaching on mud banks.

The catcher has been great but at the end of the day it's a small pressed tinny, i just take my time at the moment and pick my days.

I have a budget of around $30K and looking at a 3-5 year time frame for 5-6m boat. I really like the centre console layout rather than tiller or half cab and I understand the compromises between glass and plate in terms of ride and durability (lots on this site about that). Options I'm looking at are:

1. Find a fibreglass boat (most common seem to be half cab) and modify to centre console. I'm prepared for and have experience in transom and floor replacements. the issue here seems to be finding a hull with no motor as most seem to include in the price a old 2 banger "that runs really well" which I don't want.

2. Find a used plate (not pressed) in this price range. Any recommendations of plate brands to aim for?

Quintrex seem to dominate the market here, there are renagades everywhere but I've always found them overpriced and expect I would just end up with a bigger version of what I have with no increase in ride quality.

Any opinions on the above options? Apart from gumtree and boat point are there any other options for finding a project hull for option 1?

I'd also like to get the opinion of someone with better mechanical and boat manufacturing experience than me when going secondhand, can anyone recommend someone near Cairns?

Thanks fellas, Evan

Re: Bigger Boat for FNQ

5.5 mtr Mclay center console on gumtree ,bit passed the budget ,but no money to spend and never know what a serious offer brings (no assoc)

Evan, message sent.
    David

Thanks sjp2, budgets are meant to be broken right!?

Issue with plate boats is they have a shorter shelf life than glass. You can fix a old glass boat back to new, can't really do that with plate.
    With your budget you'll struggle to find a decent plate boat that's not already 15y-20y old. Own it for another 10 and it's starting to show its age.

With glass you generally get a little more for your money .
    Having said that most CC boats are plate.
    Mate of mine recently sold his 6m tabs for $25k and it was about 12y old I think.

What type of fishing will you mostly be doing in the new boat?
    Will you want to run offshore in choppy condistions? Or wait for it to be glassed out to go wide and do most your fishing in close?

If your looking at pushing wide more then def get glass.
    If you want more alrounder then plate may suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Thanks Flex. I probably hadn’t really considered longevity and shelf life, do you mean eventual corrosion and stress cracks from constant flex? I guess this would be an issue but with plate boats being 3, 4 or 5mm plate I would have thought a reasonable life is expected? I still have a 1970 12ft Quintrex out the back that is still in good nick but doesn’t get subject to any pounding but corrosion is not an issue.

My fishing and spearfishing is really dictated by weather and the boat limitations, if I had a larger boat I would be out at the islands and reef as much as possible. Most of the reefs I can access between 30 - 45 km’s offshore and would be nice to be able to get out there even when the forecast is not glass out. But as said I also need a boat for river trips to the beach hut so something versatile is needed.

It’s all a compromise on use and cost I guess. It’s why I was considering a fibreglass boat to CC console conversion, I don’t see why this could not be as versatile as a plate boat for what I want and still have the benefit of a good ride. I’ve seen the gale force, hooker and bonito boats all look great but seem scarce on the secondhand market which is where my budget is at for this type of boat.

There's been a few centre console conversions done, some are fantastic, some are pretty home made looking, if you have the time, skills, space and money I think you could convert a runabout, but I don't think it would be cheap, there is an old 19' Haines near me that a guy paid to have done, looks original, but it certainly wasn't cheap.

My 5M Stylecraft has been changed from forward steer to centre console and there is no doubt it hands down gives a better ride than most plate boats whatever their size. The downside is that it's less stable, and this particular hull is obviously not what you're after because it's a narrow hull that cuts through chop and swell but does rock and roll on anchor.

I can't be sure but I imagine most conversions are not for the bigger glass boats; most are around the 5M mark (16') like mine. https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...SE-AD-4389390/

If you can score a flooded hull like the stabicraft and a few of the NZ hulls that might do the job for you. I would think it's just a matter of perseverance and you'll eventually land one. My BIL goes out from Port and he has a 6M quinnie which does the job pretty well. I would recommend you don't settle for anything other than a four stroke though. My thoughts only which can easily be wrong so apologies if I rub others up the wrong way.

Haines Prowler may fit the bill. Example here: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydn...nes/1165026026

Seemed to be well reviewd as an inshore/ offshore crossover.

Im not associated with this boat, just providing options.