Thread: Hydrafoils

Hydrafoils

How many out there still use hydrafoils on their motor even though they can pull the proper rev range with their outboard ??..
    Get on the plane at a lower speed??..

Re: Hydrafoils

One here

Yes and as the motors are at the appropriate height they are above the water surface as speed goes up and motors are trimmed up so as far as I can see no negatives. Trim tabs also contribute to quicker planing as well as all the other tab benefits.
    What could go wrong.......................

Yep - running the SE Sport 400
    As much as anything to iron out porpoising .....

The SE400 is cool because it doesn't involve any drilling . After over a year now , there has been no issue

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Have a V16c with a 115 rude with a SE 300 . When you put 2 adults , a coupla grandkids , 60 odd litres fuel 2 batteries and a 3 person tube on the back or a big fishing esky the hydrofoil makes a big difference. I also change the 3 blade prop to a smaller 4 blade. On the little tinny with a 50 rude , it's got a SE 200 and when it's trimmed right it's great.

Yep. Permatrim on a Seafarer Victory. Coupled with trim tabs the difference when it gets snotty is like night and day.

Another permatrim owner here with tabs aswell.
    Folis wont affect whether your getting correct max revs at wot at all if your motor height and trim is right so I don't know where your coming from with that?
    Only con is in a following sea my arse gets pushed about a bit.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

2 Permatrims, SE Sport, and a cheap eBay jobby in the past. Currently without one and it’s noticeable. Permatrims have been the best I’ve run and will be adding one to the new motor in the very near future. Yes the extra $$$ is worth it in my opinion.

Seriously, how many boats have issues that you need these?
    Is it cost that makes these the go to solution? I would have thought a jack plate would help overcome these problems. Dont these also introduce other instabilities while turning or following seas?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Is it cost that makes these the go to solution? I would have thought a jack plate would help overcome these problems. Dont these also introduce other instabilities while turning or following seas?
    In short, no. None of my boats have had any bad habits induced by the foils I have fitted. None of them "needed" the foil either. All of them have however had their capability to travel slowly on a level plane enhanced thus making for a much more comfortable ride offshore and when it gets rough. I don't see a jackplate generating sufficient stern lift to achieve the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I did two adjustments on my motor height & still couldn't iron out the porpoising with the weight distribution of 3 (incl a monster 200amp) batteries in my boat - fitted the foil & it is all but gone .
    The boat actually handles better in a following sea
    The only down side is a slight loss in top end speed of about 3km / hr

I've owned 3 boats now & 2 needed foils ..... the other would have benefitted from having a foil fitted.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Yep - running the SE Sport 400
    As much as anything to iron out porpoising .....

The SE400 is cool because it doesn't involve any drilling . After over a year now , there has been no issue

Chris
    What size motor Chris ??..

Well reason fer asking was have gotten rid of the bigger Tinny and back to a 16ft ctr console with a 75 E-Tech . Goes like a Hurricane and if you push it it comes up on the plane quick but a wee bit of load and its a tad sluggish getting on the plane aat slower speed so thought of connecting a Hydrafoil to the motor but prior to drilling holes and such i thought ide ask advice of those who have them fitted.
    Mind you i did fit a Foil on the bigger Tinny when i had it and it made no difference then so took it off and the only reason for fitting it then was because i had one sitting around so thought ide see what the fuss was all about , but now i think i may need to fit when toget the tinny out of the water quicker at slower speeds..

Sound like you are running your motor a tad low.

In sea water I like mine up so far that if you turn as you would in a river towing a skier you can induce ventilation / cavitation.

If you do this its easy to get your foil above the water surface when your trimmed back and up for fast running. The foil is most use as you are getting up on the plane.

As stated before if your arm was long enough you should be able to slide your flat hand between the water surface and the bottom of the foil when your running at speed.
    Try this with you mates hand not yours !!!

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Correct, a foil should not have any effect on top speed, if it reduces top speed, your motor is too low (probably why you tried the foil) if it increases top speed, you're dreaming!

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    What size motor Chris ??..
    100hp - yammi SE400.jpg
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO