Thread: Cape and cod from Caloundra

Cape and cod from Caloundra

Gday guys, after hearing all about how many marlin were around and the weather forecast being perfect, we went for a look yesterday 27.12.2017. With the weather predicted to be so good I took my niece and nephew who had never caught marlin and barely been offshore at all. We left Caloundra at 3.30am and headed straight for the dogleg north of hutchies. Plenty of bait around so we dropped in 5 skirts at 4.45am. We trolled down to hutchies and at about 6.00am had a very light hit that didn’t even turn the reel. About half hour later another similar touch, nothing exciting yet. The young ones were getting bored by now. We kept going up around hutchies way for nil and with the tide change due at 9.30 I started to head for the cape area. About 8.00am just south of hutchies on our way down all hell breaks loose, 2 little blacks jumping everywhere, 2 reels singing and time to wake up the young fella. After a decent fight one was onboard but with all the effort focused on it because it was close, the other fish was dropped. Probably had it on for 15 minutes and then spat the hooks. Continued down to due east of the cape and on again. This time a nice little Dollie. Did another lap of this same spot and bang, on again. Bloody massive longtom!!!!! Another lap and on again, another little black. The nephew got this one in and we were all happy. They both had what we came for.
    Let’s have a drop for cod now, it’s only 10.00am. We headed north east for about 25km and in 210m found some shows. Dropped and dropped for nil. Let’s head to the 300m and have a look. After 3 drops out here for nil, we went back to our original spot. 3 drops, 3 cod then home. Not big, 2 maybe 4kg and the 3rd maybe 6kg.
    Easy run home with the young fella skippering, us kicking back on bean bags.

Great day out for all

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Cape and cod from Caloundra

Good onya Lee, cod those size are the better eating quality.

Cheers Sam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7772.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	116599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7800.JPG 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	116600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7837.jpg 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	116601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7844.JPG 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	116602

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Great effort mate.
    Thanks for the report.
    What depth were the blacks in if you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Finicky, all fish caught on the troll were in 35m

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Thanks Sam, yeh the flesh looked good when cleaning. I haven’t had any yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7826.jpg 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	116609

This was the second marlin. Not a very good pic but the only one I got.

Sounds like a top day Lee..well done