Thread: Difference between 5.8 and 6HP Parsun outboards

Difference between 5.8 and 6HP Parsun outboards

Looking at a 5.8HP Parsun 2 stroke for my 2.7m inflatable boat ( max HP 7.5) as an upgrade in power from my Watersnake electric motor and Lithium battery,.

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Parsun...-Parsun/343496

There is also a 6HP Parsun Outboard available, BCF sell the 5.8 Model, am wondering what the difference is between these motors ie why have 2 motors with very close HP ratings..

http://www.islandinflatables.com.au/...troke-outboard

I have 2 Mercs on our 1/2 cabin but am pushing the envelope with the extra outlay for the inflatable motor with SWMBO, hence the Parsun route.

Peter

Re: Difference between 5.8 and 6HP Parsun outboards

The 9.9 two strokes that are around are because of power restrictions, <10HP on some waters. Not here, the US I believe.

Possibly a similar reason for the existance of the 5.8.

From the Parsun website, the 5.8 is two stroke, the 6 is 4 stroke.

The 5.8 is from the 4/5 hp engine and will weight about 17 kg and has an inbuilt fuel tank which is handy for little boats.
    The 6 is from the bigger 6/8/9.8 hp family and will be two cylinder, smoother running and weigh about 26 kg.

Hi Bremic, the 6HP unit is a 2 stroke and a lot dearer than the 5,8 probably because its a 2 cylinder as per GBC comment.

I thought the 5.8 could be a 4HP with a shaved head etc to give it the extra grunt.

Thanks again

Peter

it will probably be either de restricted, or have a larger carby, and maybe some change to the timing!

Looks like I will give the Parsun a miss, saw the 5.8HP advertised in the low $800's now $999, so its looking at other alternatives and Gumtree.

This motor seems good, but have read reports reviews that make me wary but these could have been on older design motors, and of course no ( to my knowledge) support in Adelaide.
    https://www.gtmall.com.au/hangkai-wa...SABEgJk1_D_BwE

Peter

Check out the price of a new Tohatsu on the Neptune marine website (all prices listed). Good value.

i'd rather a second hand Jap/USA motor for the same money as a new Chinese one. piece of mind having a good parts and repair network!

Tohatsu are Japanese. Also mercury and mariner in the 6hp range will be rebadged Tohatsu motors. Very reliable motor.

Ausfish Silver Member

mate i think that most people who dont want a licence get a 6hp for max power, then you got your 4 and 5 hp which are also popular for small rigs, and the 5.8 is more powerfull then a 4 or 5hp and almost a 6hp so they market it to be as much power without going to the heavier bigger cc 6hp. funny enough i was only wondering why a 5.8 was needed just the other day, that was just my thought on why..

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSA View Post
    Looking at a 5.8HP Parsun 2 stroke for my 2.7m inflatable boat ( max HP 7.5) as an upgrade in power from my Watersnake electric motor and Lithium battery,.

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Parsun...-Parsun/343496

There is also a 6HP Parsun Outboard available, BCF sell the 5.8 Model, am wondering what the difference is between these motors ie why have 2 motors with very close HP ratings..

http://www.islandinflatables.com.au/...troke-outboard

I have 2 Mercs on our 1/2 cabin but am pushing the envelope with the extra outlay for the inflatable motor with SWMBO, hence the Parsun route.

Peter
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

been ages since I looked at small motors' so I could be speaking out of my @rse here, but just check whether the slightly smaller one has a proper reverse or not. The difference between the 4 and 6's back in the day was usually the smaller motor had to be turned 180 degrees to back up, the bigger motor actually had a reverse gear.

save some more and get a small Yamaha

I ripped the whole starter assembly off a small parsun while trying to start it

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    save some more and get a small Yamaha

I ripped the whole starter assembly off a small parsun while trying to start it
    yup.. and we all know when we cant afford a new or higher price/brand motor and we really want to get out in the water, its easy to look for a cheaper brand motor... mmm we could have a whole new thread about this choice... but i think its a fact that these copys even thought people think there genuine replicas as yammie etc parts fit.... well there not they are made in a different factory and they only have the rights/ patents to older motors from yamaha etc.. also they must change 10% roughy so its not genuine.( for patent reasons)... but the big point is its not built by the origonal manufacurer and these factorys aint in my opinion up to scratch.. and we all have heard stories of them braking more often then not... so i would save up and be patient, ( easy to say i know) and get a new or low hour second hand motor..ooohh and btw i know mercury tohatsu honda and all the big names use each others factories.. but youd buy those as they are built by the best... so im with stevej stay away from em...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..