Thread: Noise deadening material for noisy hull

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Noise deadening material for noisy hull

Hi Everyone

I have recently invested in a new plate alloy boat. Took it for its first run yesterday to Moreton and was amazed by the noise the front section of the hull makes when the water hits it at a particular angle. I knew an ally boat would be noisier than my last glass boat but this noise is pretty high pitch and unlike anything I have heard before in any other of my mates plate boats. The boat wasn't hard riding or anything (although it was pretty flat) but just the noise was very strange. It seemed to be coming from under the bunks where there isn't the bulk of girders like there is under the floor.

My question is, is there some sort of sound deadening material that anyone has used with success? Any help would be appreciated. I really like the boat its just such an annoying pitch noise.

Cheers Danstu

Re: Noise deadening material for noisy hull

Maybe carpet on the side might help, there is one brand that is featured on TV a lot that is particularly noisy, even the TV sound drives you nuts!

Get someone in there while you are running at some stage just to check that everything has been welded in properly - had a client with a Trailcraft that found the welder had missed a couple of welds and the banging was things moving around.

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Scottar

Not so much a bang noise. More so a higher pitch squeal. I pulled up the bunk cushions while we were moving and it just seems to be the water slapping the fore foot area. Quit weird really. That's why I was thinking some sort of sound proofing.

Cheers Danstu

Quote Originally Posted by Danstu View Post
    Hi Scottar

Not so much a bang noise. More so a higher pitch squeal. I pulled up the bunk cushions while we were moving and it just seems to be the water slapping the fore foot area. Quit weird really. That's why I was thinking some sort of sound proofing.

Cheers Danstu
    Most likely it's the water pressure against a chine or strake if the noise is fairly continuous.

Do you have trim tabs? If so try some bow down & see if that makes a difference. Is there any weight on the boat or are you running light? With the engine trimmed out you will be running bow high & that changes the noise level. It did with my Fisher 6400.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Danstu,, my experience has been that platey's with underfloor flotation foam are less noisy than those with flotation just being via sealed airlock compartment (no foam). Maybe a place to start.
    Scott

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Outstation

Yeah mine is foam filled. Just not up the front under the bunks. I do have trim tabs and was running with a full fuel tank so running pretty heavy. Maybe it is the water hitting the plaining strakes. Will try some insulation under the bunks to deaden the noise. Pretty annoying noise/squeal though.

Danstu