Thread: Terrova to dual battery switch

Terrova to dual battery switch

Can anyone tell me what the attached means in a 12v system...i thought I could connect my positive from the Minn kota to the common positive on my dual battery switch and the neg of my Minn kota to the common dual batt negative...and my marine place where I purchased it locally agree...however the instruction manual has me wondering. Motor is 40hp Tohatsu 2 stroke leccy start with a low amp (12 max I think) charging system.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Terrova to dual battery switch

This for example seems to suggest that charging your second battery from your outboard while the trolling motor is connected to such battery is fine..

https://www.############.com.au/On-B...2-Volt-Battery

Cheers

I can't access your link. Mine is on a totally separate circuit and I do a full charge of the battery on my return, the only other vessel that I've looked has an isolation switch between the motor and the leccy, seemed rather odd to me as it had a separate battery for the leccy. Will your dealer guarantee the motor if you go down the path you are proposing.

I would hold him to it...

But rather than go down that path I think I will just shut the breaker off each time i bring up amd stow the leccy. That way it is isolated from the engine charging system but the outboard can still charge both or either battery (similar AH ratings).

Cheers

Ideally you want to isolate the leccy in such a way that you can't start the Tohatsu with it still in circuit as relying on memory is a guarantee to failure. Not sure what's out there and my memories and thought processes are getting a little scrambled these days, maybe someone like Scottar has some ideas, I've put in a solid 6 to 8 hours on the leccy which is fine as base is only a few minutes away but if your away for a couple of days it could be a problem.

I think I have sorted it mate. Not failsafe but pretty good. Connect leccy to bow mount Batt 2 via breaker (ie directly not via dual batt switch) and leave dual battery switch in pos 1. I will also make the connection and disconnection of the leccy via the front breaker a standard thing...so to bugger it up I would need to have forgotten the breaker AND switched to Barr 2 (or 'both' on the dual switch) AND started the outboard (....AND got unlucky and spiked the leccy).

Cheers

It would be good if you could actually put some sort of lock on batt 2 position with a tag saying "disconnect leccy" attached, that way even a fishing buddy would remember.