Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what have you hit

Re: what have you hit

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Ahhh, you're not a boatie unless you've hit a sand bank in Moreton bay at least once.
    I call it running the gauntlet... "I think there is enough water there at the moment" as the outboard starts to complain. Rous channel, meh, we can cut that corner! Days gutter, there is enough water to get in there from the South Passage side....

I know the bay quite well, but I still manage to find them.

Been boating for over 20 years now. Hit a couple of sandbanks in my younger days but wised up.
    A bit

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

P1000104.jpg A few of these nasties in the floods as well as whalesX2

hit n killed a 6ft hammerhead in lake Macquarie two yrs ago no damage to boat..shark was stone motherless dead...had flying fish 40cm long hit me in the chest doing 30knots...ouch nice bruise..rick

A 40 year old barmaid but I was young,drunk and horny and it was dark.

BigE

The reef on the north side of peel island. Heading straight into the sun about 6am one morning and couldn’t see the sounder properly. Ouch. About $3000 worth of damage to evinrude.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    The reef on the north side of peel island. Heading straight into the sun about 6am one morning and couldn’t see the sounder properly. Ouch. About $3000 worth of damage to evinrude.
    Hmmm me too (I was lucky no damage), I thought people were just being freindly waving to me but no they were warning me about the reef, after that episode I bought a mapping GPS!

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post

BigE
    Um ok I think you missed the story line a bit lol.

Travelling by Yacht off Bali just before dawn only to realise there were hundereds of unlit sailing canoes laying out nets all around us. Picked up a rope on the keel and had to jump over in the pre dawn in 1500 ft of water and cut off.

Barracuda wrapped around gearbox causing Cavitation

Was it in Creek 3, Missionary Bay?

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Um ok I think you missed the story line a bit lol.
    Originally Posted by BigE

BigE
    I would really like to hear that story! So long as it was a barmaid and youre sure it wasnt a barman
    tug
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Doing a night rescue with VMR Victoria Point many years we hit and mortally wounded a dugong!

He was way, way out from where they normally are and as they swim along on or below the surface it's nigh on impossible seeing them sometimes, especially at night!

We followed the poor bugger into the shallows thinking if "we could save him" but he looked pretty bad so we all went back to Base really upset, demoralised and one of our lady crew members broke down and howled, that only made it worse for us!

I still like to think it looked worse than it actually was and he or she made it through the night!

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

You can pick a Boatie who uses Moreton Bay by his prop, always nice and shiny with the occasional dent or chunk missing!

Not me but a mate cut the corner at inskip point in the old savage and beached her lol.

Traveling behind Big Woody years ago in my old 17 foot Seajay, 50 HP tiller, and I hit a patch of rock WOT. Just a small patch and I was running where we just saw the ferry go through. Must have been just a little off course but I never locked the motor down again when going forward! Same trip, had a good arvo session catching Tailor and trevally at the wreck on the back of Fraser on chromies. Went back to Hervey Bay, picked up a couple of the boys and went to go back on the same course. Found out why it is called the Great SANDY Straights! Had to wait for 4 hours until we had some water to push it into the channel about 30 meters away! Learnt allot that trip!

TH..