Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what have you hit

what have you hit

As the title suggests, what have you hit in your boat? Comes from an incident i had yesterday. Nothing major, well for me anyway.

Cruising from the seaway to Palmy yesterday morning about 5am and then bang, boat stops rapidly as if the motor fell off. Put it in neutral straight away. Turn around and look, motor still going and seems fine.

Head down the back and see a 3m plus shark bent around the motor shaft and then float down tail first into the water. It must have hit the hull as the motor didn't lift up or anything. Poor bugger was probably just relaxing on the surface after breakfast then boom!!!

That's a first for me.

On the fishing front, pretty slow for me up until about 2pm, just a couple of missed mack's and a baby dollie. Then we found a heap of billy's in 35m NE of the seaway. I went 5-1-1 on lures from 2-4pm. Would have been nice to stick the hooks in a couple more...

Re: what have you hit

A sheet of ply at 25 kts one night slowed us up pretty quick. It took some getting off too. We ran down an unlit tinny in Hervey Bay years ago with the trawler. It was nowhere near as exciting for us as it was for them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Ausfish Silver Member

back in the 70s hit a shipping container at full noise,v19 haines 150 merc..
    hull ok but bottom of merc cactus
    Early 80s rounding big island at port stephens in a 23 sharkcat hit a bloody foam matress. Not a great deal of damage but some bruises from stopping so quick..

In the Brisbane River about 20 years ago was going along and all of a sudden the motor started revving but not going anywhere. It was OK at about 4 knots but after that would rev high again, thought I'd done the bush in the prop. A little later when I pulled over so I could safely lift the motor a piece of timber about 500mm long x 20mm thick x 150mm high was stuck between the transom and the motor, cleared that and everything fine.

Nothing as exciting as the above entries, just several metres of fishing line round the prop, the line belonged to the bloke on the launching ramp pier who didn't believe in winding in for the boats launching and retrieving.

Bribie Island on a mill pond early morning about 2am.......not even a wash along the beach......found Skirmish Point.
    Hit a reasonable sized croc up north many years ago.
    Jack.

Coming into Scarborough ramp. Muddy, choppy water out front as usual and a turtle decides to surface in front of me. Heavy thump, likely the hull but maybe the skeg. Looked out the back but no sign of it. I thought they were smarter than that.

Freighter wake @ 28 knots.
    20 hours skippering under my belt.
    Apparently they go some distance after the ship passes....
    15 year old boy was impressed. .."we got like 10 feet of air that time Dad..."
    I replied with "yep" and needed a beer and a smoke.
    I learned.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

My worst was a rock bar at 40km / hr ..... brand new 70 yammi
    I went up & down this particular creek at Hinchinbrook island for several days & a dozen times on a previous trip ...... my plots were virtually straight over the top of each other - but on this day .... I was marginally to starboard & the tide was a little lower . when I hit this boulder square on it literally brought me to a stop & I was horrified to look around (I was not expecting to see a motor there ) aside from a chunk taken out of the leg , slightly bent prop ..... & a change of undies - the rest of the trip went on
    Shipping containers - I've come close twice ..... the bastards are barely visible .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

This is a good topic!

It sure gives you a surprise if you hit something with a bit of speed up!

Hit plenty of stumps and fallen timber in creeks and lakes when i was growing up fishing and duck shooting.
    Oneday in a tinny with the old man we got stuck on a big stump, reckon it took 40 mins to get off the bugger.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

I was heading towards the south passage bar through the rouse channel at 4am in winter last year and hit I think a dugong at 25knts Came to a screeching hault . I checked the skeg and no damage only this really dense material so put the motor back down and started no prob then continued on
    happy days ahead summer is coming

I have been fortunate enough to not run into anything...yet. I saw this photo recently, thought it was a bit freaky. Only really dangerous for the shark though.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomin...in-Florida.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    Nothing as exciting as the above entries, just several metres of fishing line round the prop, the line belonged to the bloke on the launching ramp pier who didn't believe in winding in for the boats launching and retrieving.
    LOL, yep on a low tide the channel out of Kedron Brook is only about 5M wide and you have to stay on the plane if you don't want to get stuck, sure by all means fish in the middle of that narrow channel if you want but don't cry like a little bitch if I come through and spool your reel cause your too lazy to wind it in!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    LOL, yep on a low tide the channel out of Kedron Brook is only about 5M wide and you have to stay on the plane if you don't want to get stuck, sure by all means fish in the middle of that narrow channel if you want but don't cry like a little bitch if I come through and spool your reel cause your too lazy to wind it in!
    We've scored the odd dumbarse at the pontoon at 1770. They stare at you like it is a bet - bet accepted.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    I was heading towards the south passage bar through the rouse channel at 4am in winter last year and hit I think a dugong at 25knts Came to a screeching hault . I checked the skeg and no damage only this really dense material so put the motor back down and started no prob then continued on
    That reminded me of the time I hit a turtle on the way over to Hinchinbrook Island..... it blew out the prop and it turned what should have been another 20 mins into about 1.5 hrs. Had a spare with me though ..... don’t they make a bang when you hit one

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO