Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what have you hit

Re: what have you hit

I ran into (or it ran into me) a Mutton bird one night, hit me right in the face.

Sandbanks, rock bars, a turtle, a tree, a beacon (anchor pulled at night while having a snooze) ....did I mention sandbanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I ran into (or it ran into me) a Mutton bird one night, hit me right in the face.
    You've been quiet of late Noel

My brother in law hit a whale in our old centre console just off Noosa at 25 knots. Ripped the two bottom engine mount bolts through the transom and killed the gearbox. 8k of repairs all up to boat and motor. Not sure how the whale faired.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    You've been quiet of late Noel
    Yeah, had a bit on, my son (well his wife) had twins at only 26 weeks, (only 600 grams) they were in intensive care at Canberra hospital for months, then transferred to Sydney, and finally home, between trips to Canberra and Sydney it has kept me pretty occupied, but they are going OK now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryl85 View Post
    My brother in law hit a whale in our old centre console just off Noosa at 25 knots. Ripped the two bottom engine mount bolts through the transom and killed the gearbox. 8k of repairs all up to boat and motor. Not sure how the whale faired.
    We have come close ourselves off Fraser especially before dawn, you have to keep and eye out for the swell that's not moving the way other swells are, sleeping whales don't even move when you pass them by. Last trip out we found a few fast asleep at 8am in full daylight, at least easier to spot.

Ahhh, you're not a boatie unless you've hit a sand bank in Moreton bay at least once.

At least I can say I did it with Dignity 😎

Yep, sandbank at WOT down the Goldie Broadwater. Managed to call up mate on VHF who towed me off, as tide was dropping.

In another boat that ran a sandbank... 30ft'er, so just waited until tide came in further, and off we went.

Managed to run square onto a post ( 4 x 4 ) and 2 meters long, that jammed between motor and transom on a 4mtr tinnie, midnight new moon, just about to cross a bar. No serious damage, except undies, of course.

Mate donged a Turtle in Moreton Bay that destroyed his skeg, prop and gearbox.

Picked up a plastic shopping bag in my little tinnie that actually set off the alarm. Completely wrapped up the water intake. , no damage.

And like GBC, have made contact with various boats at a certain boat ramp at 1770

good subject

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Ahhh, you're not a boatie unless you've hit a sand bank in Moreton bay at least once.
    Yep that's me.

just skimmed a queen size bed frame once and also just missed a Sun fish once just under my boat , didnt know they were that big..scary

Forgot to mention - as part of one high speed lack of displacement related incident in Day's Gutter in the pre speed restriction era, I hit a sea anemone. It left green marks on the lower unit paint that were still there when I sold the boat .........some 15 or so years later. Not sure what the hell is in them but it sticks way better than any outboard paint I have ever come across.

Hit a dugong at Donnybrook 2 years ago and multiple sand and mud banks, have you ever tried to come back from the Pin to Jacobs well in the dark?, so many lights and sometimes so little water, several years ago I was trying to head just north of the hanlon light at Peel island in the dark when I started seeing white under the boat, turned out to be reef and I had quite a push to find deeper water, also anybody trying to use the Nudgee Creek channel to the bay will hit the bottom heaps at low tide.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

We glanced off a whale off the goldcoast, breached in front of us and managed to get off the throttle and pretty much slide down its back, scary stuff....
    Seen a bloke run into one of the markers at wellignton point, he ducked inside the cab and the boat went straight for the marker. He got back to the wheel fairly quick and didn't hang around to check any damage.

Crab pots, sand bars and I have crunched a few to many pontoon's.