Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about water pickup for live bait tank

Re: Question about water pickup for live bait tank

Sorry about the photos OcciferNick I just haven't learn't to post them .

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

It’s ok mate I’ve been doing a lot of research and think I’ll go with the through hull as suggested. It makes the most sense when adding a deck wash kit. I’m just trying to workout the sizes I should get and 3/4” is looking the winner so far.

Nick, remember your pump needs to be below the water line or only just above as they are not self priming.

with the through hull scoops make sure you have a decent valve on the inside of the hull and access to it, no plastic rubbish

bust a hose or fitting and you will sink the boat at speed pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    Hi everyone,

Ive googled this first but couldn’t find an answer hence why I’m asking here.

My live bait tank is the rectangle type under the bait board. The water is filled by the pump but when I’m moving I lose a lot of water through the overflow and out the top under the bait boards. As the pickup for the pump is a hole on the transom it doesn’t suck water when underway. I have to stop every now and then to refill the tank.

If I fit one of these to the transom
    Attachment 116586
    And just have a hose connected to it going into the bait tank will there be enough water flow to supply the tank? I would probably be travelling between 8-20knots depending the sea and what I’m doing.

Ive seen these connected directly to a pump but wondered if just a hose would suffice? Does anyone have anything similar?

Cheers
    Nick
    Nick, sorry for the late response.

I have had no end of trouble using these, but found a solution.

I squashed the intake tube, this was because I was getting too much water through and as far as i could tell, over revving the pump.

I now have a different system that I will post a photo of.

Basically, I use the squashed tube system to go directly into the tank for when I am traveling, then I have mounted a pump beside that and it sits under the waterline and use this while at rest. This has worked a treat. I went through at least 5 pumps trying to sort out the issue and both Johnson and Rhule pump people said it was not the pumps fault. Well, so far the way I have it mounted, has lasted well over 2 years with no issues, so I'll just state that " in my opinion ", the pumps could not handle the amount of water rushing in at speed.

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Well, so far the way I have it mounted, has lasted well over 2 years with no issues, so I'll just state that " in my opinion ", the pumps could not handle the amount of water rushing in at speed.

cheers LP
    That's interesting Phill as I have had failure on the deck wash pump which is fed direct from the pick scoop, a mate of mine also lost a few and claimed they weren't able to handle the constant water being pushed in at speed so I tend to turn off the intake when doing any long trips, don't bother when just moving around searching though. This may not apply to some brands but on the specs sheet most of these so called deckwash pumps are meant for agricultural use such as spraying herbicides and pesticides so there could be something in this. So far my last pump has lasted by turning the intake valve off.

Sam

Sam