Thread: Season opener = 3-2-1

Season opener = 3-3-1

Day #2 offshore trolling this season after an early 5 hours before the Southerly change last Saturday. I headed NE from the seaway and almost ran over a little black about 5 am at a current line in about 50 m. Lures out and spent about half an hour working the area but no hits. Kept going NE and had a dollie hit a lure, jump and spit it before I could pick the rod up. I got to Sullies NE of the pin but there was no bait so I turned South and headed in towards the pin. I had another hit on the same lure about 7 am but it hardly pulled any drag and whatever it was dropped the lure after about 3 seconds. I found some good bait in 50 m East of the pin and worked the area for a while but not hits. I decided to go back out to 50 fat and work my way South. Kept trolling my spread of 3 pushers all the way to the 36 fat SE and out of nowhere I finally had a decent hit which stuck at 12.10 pm. Cleared the other lines and teaser and fought a small black of about 25 kg on 15 kg tackle. Took me about 25 minutes to finally get it boatside as it put up a strong fight for its size. Trolled for one more hour before I pulled the pin and came in around 2 pm.

Water temp was up to 27.2 in 50 fathoms and conditions were sloppy early but got better with the light wind. I didn't find any decent bait in 36 or 50 fathoms, just one good patch in 50 m.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boatside s.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	116584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swimming s.JPG 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	116583  

Re: Season opener = 3-2-1

really should have been 3-3-1 oops

Pakula cockroach 7.5" in yakka colour in short corner position
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cockroach yakka.jpg 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	116588  

Good report mate, nice to see the season kick off with a fish. Are you still fishing from your 4.5m?

Nice one Jeremy, well done!

Cheers

jim