Thread: Wivenhoe Saturday 9th

Blog Entries

Wivenhoe Saturday 9th

Fished Wivenhoe Sat morning in perfect weather conditions . Managed a few Bass along with some quality Yellow Belly (Once we got away from the Catfish) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171209_101908.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	116579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171209_093159.jpg 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	116578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171209_062207.jpg 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	116577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171209_102405.jpg 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	116576)

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Wivenhoe Saturday 9th

Some nice fish there. What did the damage?

Blog Entries

We were jigging Halco twisties ( 20 gram gold ) & gang banger spoons ... fishing from 15 - 30m water on the edges of the river bed.

Must have caught at lest 15 big Catties as well ( which was good fun for a while on light tackle ..)

All fish released ready for recapture this weekend coming !

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I am heading to Boondooma early next year and trying to get some ideas for how to fish up there, so thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries

Jackson 4300 , Boondoomba sounds good , have never been there so I cant comment on the area .
    Would suggest spoons & jigs as previously mentioned for the deeper water ( over say 15m ) Once you have located fish .... Let the jig down to just off the bottom & give them short little lifts of 200mm or so ...Whilst I am doing this with a jig I would normally cast out a spoon & let it flutter away down to the bottom ( in a rod holder ) This can quite often get smashed on the way down .
    & trolling deep divers around the bank drop offs .
    & early morning poppers for the surface bite .

Just got back from three days at Boondooma,. dam looks good with plenty of water . Tried to catch some redclaw but unsuccessful. We caught quite a few small bass, just under legal size up in the sticks in one of the arms . We trolled small lures through the trees and caught about fifteen Bass on Wedsday. Be careful of the rocks just of the bank as we hit one just under the surface and took a nick out of the prop. We could see quite a lot of schooling fish in the deeper water down near the dam wall and up near the junction of the two arms of the dam. I wish I had of concentrated a bit more on these schooling fish but I only trolled a few deep divers through them with nil results. Another angler and his wife were catching quite a few nice Yellowbelly and bass by trolling as well, he was trolling using a 90hp I don't know how he got the speed down to troll. All in all it was a great three days. We stayed in the cabins near the boat ramp, they were fairly basic and in need of a bit of refurbishment but they weren't to bad. They have an excellent boat ramp there which made launching the boat a breeze. Prices at the kiosk were a bit exxy ( $15 for a small bag of firewood). Little container of worms $12. If I were to go again I would concentrate more on those schooling fish and try some jigging lures, but I enjoyed the break away and it was not crowded at this time of year before the Christmas rush.