Thread: Dollies and Wahoo

Dollies and Wahoo

I got out for a fish on Wednesday morning with a couple of mates and tried the Waverider buoy as the reef fishing this year for e has been woeful.
    We managed to pull a few dollies up to 70cm from the buoy before I found a big coil of rope floating by with some bait under it. As would be expected the dolphin fish were onto it and we landed a 95cm fish first cast.
    A couple drifts later and the fish shut down and would just look at our baits but not touch them so I was about to leave when two Wahoo turned up. They swam past for an inspection then came back and smashed a pilchard each. Two weeks earlier we also had 2 Wahoo come to the boat on the 35's but we're not interested in eating they just wanted to check us out. This time one took a half Pillie on a single hook so it bit through the 30lb mono instantly while the other took a whole Pillie on a two hook gang so luckily he was chewing on the hooks for the duration of the fight and was gaffed after some big runs.
    We tried a little bit of new reef with some bait on it and got a Pearlie first drop then called it a day soon after.
    All up we caught 9 dolphin fish up to 95cm, a 1.1m 7.5kg Wahoo and a 40 odd cm Pearlie. It was great to finally get a decent days fishing in without the crowd.

Re: Dollies and Wahoo

Thanks for posting. Great catch and conditions look reasonable.

I also went off the Gold Coast yesterday but I headed SE as I didn't want to punch into the SEerly coming home. Water temp was 24.5 and there was a few small bait balls around the back edge of the 24s out to the 36s. I trolled a spread of 3 pushers for 5 hours before the change came through with no hits. Might try again next Thursday or Friday.

Some nice fish there well done.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I'd be happy with that catch for the morning! Nice catch!