Thread: Question - Best brand / type of crab pot

Question - Best brand / type of crab pot

Hi
    Just wondering, what brand or type of crab pot everyone uses.
    I have a few of different brands, as well as some old cylinder wire pots for gullies, and this discussion came up recently when a mate and I were putting a few pots in.
    So, best catch rate, easiest to use etc?

Re: Question - Best brand / type of crab pot

Disapppointed in the Hayes range, as they are almost impossible to collapse and store. I prefer the crabngear made up redcliffe way. Owners seem better to talk to than Hayes mob but maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

I don't think it makes much difference, if there's crabs there, and the bait is OK, you will catch them, crabs don't know if it's a Kmart trap, or a full custom one.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I have crabbed with a $10 pot beside a more expensive and larger 1m diameter pot, both exactly same bait and amount of bait. The larger pot almost always out crabs the smaller pots.
    Apart from that, how easy is it to use the inbuilt bait bags! Finally can get rid of the gutter guard!

From my experience, Crab n Gear Redcliffe for a quality product and if u want to do some serious crabbing..

The black rogue pots that BCF sell work pretty well also for a cheaper version however don't expect them to last much longer than a couple of years.

I have some crab n gear ones that are still going strong which would be close to 10 years old, the ones that have managed not to be "borrowed" by low breeds!

I'd go along with that watto. just the buggers eat the mesh out eventually and you have to replace the tension pipe, but the newer ones seem to have a lightly different pop up mechanism. A very good pot. I remember ringing old mate up a few years ago and saying, mate you need to make a smaller pop up pot for kayaks. I think he did.

Another vote for Crab N Gear. Mine have some age on them now, still going.

Bonus is with a decent pot is you will make sure you dont lose it so no ghost fishing.

collapsible are good but a proper mesh with cone funnels will crab more consistently in my experience.

funnels need to not be in line with the top or the bottom so the crab fine it more difficult to get back out

most people dont run there pots with enough frequency and crabs get in and out.

BigE

you still need to beat the crab pot thieves though, which is rife in certain areas
    i use the cheaper bcf heavy duty solely for that reason....$$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Another vote for Crab N Gear. Mine have some age on them now, still going.

Bonus is with a decent pot is you will make sure you dont lose it so no ghost fishing.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

By far and away the very best is the WILSON collapsible pot! It has three (3) small S/S clips that hold the sides together when being used ........ and they actually work!

DO NOT buy them from a tackle shop where they will hit you up from $15-20.00 each!

Go to Big-W where they often sell for as little as $8.50 and rarely more than ten bucks.

Mesh comes in blue though occasionally orange!

The steel is reasonably heavy duty though I have bought some that seem pretty light but lately they are all more than adequate for depths up to ten metres if you put enough string out!

They fold up into a nice small area that can either be left on the floor or strapped along the inside with a bungee cord!

I've been using them for over ten years and never had a problem ........