Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat trailers

Boat trailers

Hi All

I'm starting to think about the idea of buying a new boat trailer in 2018 - To date I've just gone with what the boat dealer was selling ... be it Redco (currently a sportsman ) , Marlin or way back a Boeing - with the exception of the Boeing the others had dramas . Now I wont entirely blame the manufacturers given the fact that I tow huge distances & on some pretty horrible roads while carrying a lot of weight in the boat. But still all my trailers have been over specified for that reason .

The basics are that it's a 5M alloy boat (approx. 1 tonne) ... 1300kgs when doing road trips .

The trailer I end up with might do the trip to Weipa on that trailer killing development road

So who are good trailer builders ?
    Do I go with I beam construction ?
    Alloy ?
    Duel axle ?
    Type of Skid set up ?

Anything else

Appreciate your thoughts ,feedback & experiences

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Boat trailers

For what you want you should think about a full custom trailer, maybe even with a "cradle" kind of setup to fit the boat exactly, rather than a fits all type of thing, it will be more expensive, but not as much as you think.

AMM website have a look at trailers , they are at Brendale and make a heavy duty alloy off-road trailer but it will cost . And I guess Belco are still worth a look for a custom job , Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

If you are going to go long distance on corrugated roads, I don't know if an alloy trailer would be the best.

My new boat has an easytow trailer and I love it. They would do a trailer to suit your boat, custom.

If your doing regular rough/off road work I don't think you can go past a decent steel trailer in box. I had my dual axle for a 6m platey built for me by Belco custom trailers. Its a 2 piece system being a wheel dolly assembly and then the "A frame" over that, dual load share on 14's. Its a good strong design, zero twist or flext, you can mover the wheel dolly to get the right weight on the ball. Got the same setup built for my old mans Stabi a few years back so we have 2 in the family now. My rig has been doing the fraser thing for 9 years and never an issue, a good test i think (red lining in second through the woopy doo's!!) They are a heavier trailer so watch your tow weights if you are near your max. Like I said though, they are bloody strong . Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    If your doing regular rough/off road work I don't think you can go past a decent steel trailer in box. I had my dual axle for a 6m platey built for me by Belco custom trailers. Its a 2 piece system being a wheel dolly assembly and then the "A frame" over that, dual load share on 14's. Its a good strong design, zero twist or flext, you can mover the wheel dolly to get the right weight on the ball. Got the same setup built for my old mans Stabi a few years back so we have 2 in the family now. My rig has been doing the fraser thing for 9 years and never an issue, a good test i think (red lining in second through the woopy doo's!!) They are a heavier trailer so watch your tow weights if you are near your max. Like I said though, they are bloody strong . Scott
    Thanks Scott - that's great feedback
    It's not that I do offroad work .... mind you some of those roads like the Leichardt Hwy & Gregory Development Rd certainly feel like it . It's just the distance & towing at speed . Broken spring hangers or brake callipers that shake off shouldn't happen ..... let alone frames cracking . Belco have a good reputation & they are the ones that came to mind first. All good with the tow weights - I wouldn't get to 60%

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Chris , I've watched Marlin trailers being built..(lived nearby for a time(, so I know they are very good right thru to the gal process..they now build aluminium trailers , not sure about your budget...personally I wouldn't buy one unless I was 20 yr old and was going to keep it for 40 years..gal is ok..just coat in in fish oil from new..I beam is easy to clean and is trndy..good luck Rob .

Quote Originally Posted by Rob0046 View Post
    Hi Chris , I've watched Marlin trailers being built..(lived nearby for a time(, so I know they are very good right thru to the gal process..they now build aluminium trailers , not sure about your budget...personally I wouldn't buy one unless I was 20 yr old and was going to keep it for 40 years..gal is ok..just coat in in fish oil from new..I beam is easy to clean and is trndy..good luck Rob .
    Thanks Rob

I had multiple spring hanger failures with my Marlin and got to spend too much time at Heathabrae . Rust has never been an issue on any trailer I’ve owned ..... it will come down to design and build quality..
    Once I find out who are building the best trailers .... I will look into how much I am willing to spend but I’m guessing it will be between $5-7K

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nagg just build your own if you have the skills and tools as you won't get a better trailer then the one you build yourself. There is not a lot to them.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Nagg just build your own if you have the skills and tools as you won't get a better trailer then the one you build yourself. There is not a lot to them.
    I've got the engineering aptitude / skills of a gnat
    I'll leave it up to the professionals ..... I just need to track down the right professional .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've built many trailers and to be honest by the time u pay retail for the components and especially if you want it dipped there isn't much if any of a saving.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    I've built many trailers and to be honest by the time u pay retail for the components and especially if you want it dipped there isn't much if any of a saving.
    Cost me $12,000 to build my trailer and that was hot dipped and to buy the same trailer with the same spec was $20,000. The saving are in the labour plus the gst on top. If you are just buying something off the shelf that is mass produced I would agree with that. When it comes to custom trailers the world changes. I too have built many trailers and boats when I was manufacturing and the labour cost are near half of the cost when you are building the one off items.

All the best Nagg

I recently got prices for a 4.5 ton tri axle aluminium bunk trailer with all stainless components and breakaway gear they were all around 20k. I think they have become a lot more competitive. If I was making my own for a tinny I'd use airbags I reckon. Quite cheap. Can always carry a spare or put two on in case one fails, surround with a canvas skirt for rocks

Hi Nagg, my current boat came on a tinka (2500kg all up) and like you i do 10-15000klm a year. Its 17 yo now and has just done the last road trip before a rebuild. I cant fault the brand. Previous was Marlin, also no problem.