Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faux teak flooring - experiences good or bad...

Faux teak flooring - experiences good or bad...

Looking into giving the cat some TLC and part of that was looking at reviving the floor. I currently have a moulded non slip fibreglass floor and was looking into the options of http://www.seadek.com for those long days spent on the water..

I am tossing up the pros and cons and was wondering if anyone has used this product or a similar product and retrofitted to their existing flooring.

several questions:
    1. is the adhesive still holding?
    2. how is it to clean blood off?
    3. does it mark easily/scratch?
    4. how long have you had it down for?
    5. does it help with antislip

would love to hear some responses...

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Faux teak flooring - experiences good or bad...

Seadeck is very expensive, I'm looking into this myself at the moment. there are other products out there, Ultralon is one that stands out. Available in Z-Tread or octagrip, lots of places sell it, but be careful with sizing, sizes offered vary widely. I found one place online that was selling 2030 x 1050 sheets of either for about $230 each. All of them come with adhesive backing, you'll need to sand down your non-skid to a smooth surface first, as far as I know. All of them are better looking than non-skid white fibreglass, which shows every little mark and stain.

G'day
    Sorry, I can't assist the original poster as I have not experience with the products. Just to ranmar850, I've got a white non slip, self draining deck. I did let it get a little dirty and there was a few small rust stains etc, but I gave it a concerted clean and since been using starbrite deck wash after every trip, a quick scrub and rinse and it is easy to keep clean with a regular squirt of the deckwash.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there in case it's useful
    Cheers
    Rod

so i have a fair bit of experience with this
    having both had my own material made, and supplied/installed a few other brands. and still do.

several questions:
    1. is the adhesive still holding? some cheaper brands "plenty of them" have a knock off glue that doesnt fair to well if pressurised water gets to close and will pull of easily. the longest we have had out in the UV and weather flooring is 8 years and its still holding fine "seadeck"

Depends.. washed off early its no problem. here is a video of some of the flooring we did earlier this year f or the guys from "online fishing charters"
    https://www.facebook.com/moosemarineaustralia/videos/1183092818483563/
    if left on, a good cleaner is needed to lift it before it can be washed off.

depends... but yes. so on the EVA flooring "seadek, deck armor etc" it is a softer material and will mark and stay marked easier.. harder material like PE. will resist marking a lot better

longest is 8 years .

yep

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Really impressed with the look of Seadek product and am also watching this thread with interest as i have much the same Q? as baitable.

BigE

Attachment 116568Attachment 116569
    This is a 6mm (3+3) teak flooring

www.moosemarine.com.au

Gday guys, yeh I have the seadeck on my floor. I have had it for 3 years and the adhesive is ok. I do have some edges on smaller pieces (400mm x 400mm) that look to be starting to lift but the larger general floor sheets are great. I also have some sections that are very worn. I have no explanation for this at all? At a guess, I reckon about 1/3 of the thickness is worn away? Some of this worn material doesn’t even have any traffic wearing it as in side decks? Maybe it is water running over it wearing it, I am uncertain? On the floor, yeh it is reasonable for staining but fantastic for non slip and fatigue. I am not pedantic about cleaning it immediately and I do have some staining but it is not too bad. I have the straight grey colour. I have resigned myself to the fact that when it gets too grubby I will simply carpet over it. This will give the soft underfoot and the look of clean carpet that is replaceable.

Would I go seadeck on a boat again? Yes for a first time. I wouldn’t pull mine up when it gets really grubby and replace it but. Carpet over the top will do me.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Ausfish Platinum Member

I have a deposit down on a new boat and have to make choices soon. Standard finish is a white non-skid fibreglass. As an option, they do a grey marine carpet, removable, for just over $700. This has cut-outs for below deck tanks, looks OK. To have a non-skid covering done is very expensive, as they have to sand back the original non-skid before applying the Seadeck/whatever. I was disappointed to hear that a poster was seeing significant wear after only 3 years? I'm not a fan of carpet on decks , in general, as it sits wet for days on the deck after you have cleaned the boat, and gets smells up very easily, even if you are diligent with cleaning. I don't kill fish directly on the deck, using a kill bin, but you can't keep all the blood in there with a big, active pelagic. I found a good wet vac and strong detergent was useful. I may just go with the standard, with the option of Ultralon as a later retrofit , if I decide I don't like the standard finish.I can fit it myself for about the same cost as the carpet.

Lee, I didn't notice the floor when I looked at your boat but the rest looked great. I have the non skid fibreglass flooring, old boat now 27 years old but it is a pain to keep clean, I found after a proper deep clean I tried polishing it, getting polish out in the dips was a pain, I used a scrubbing brush with a chux wrapped around it, then waxed it, once again used a soft brush for the final wipe but this lasted about a year. One day at the reject shop I bought a roll of very soft rubber matting for $25, I think I saw the same at supercheep on special for $50. It was really soft underfoot but does get a little warm under bear feet and if you were leaning over the side the sideways pressure would shift it. I had tin of artificial glass adhesive, used a 6mm spreader on the bottom let it dry and works well. Very light, tossit out at the end of the day and hose down, and replaceable for $50.

Ran. we use Ultralon on our boats our of Europe and the US. they are OEM level only now days "sorry to people wanting retrofits" Ultralon is PE flooring and considerably better IMO than the EVA optioned brands. "which is why i went for it when deciding on an OEM level flooring"
    keeping it out of the sun will be your best friend, they do have brilliant UV ratings, but like real timber the colour wil lfade . we just took our test samples down from the top of one of our shipping containers. stuck up there 12 months ago and saw significant greying,

Moose

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Looking into giving the cat some TLC and part of that was looking at reviving the floor. I currently have a moulded non slip fibreglass floor and was looking into the options of http://www.seadek.com for those long days spent on the water..

I am tossing up the pros and cons and was wondering if anyone has used this product or a similar product and retrofitted to their existing flooring.

several questions:
    1. is the adhesive still holding?

would love to hear some responses...
    Ive got Seadek in my Haines and love it. It’s not going to stay pristine forever, but is holding up well. No sign of peeling. Excellent grip and super comfortable. If you buy the sheets and cut and fit yourself, it’s very reasonably priced I reckon.
    Another mate has Top Teak and swears by it too. I’ve seen it and it looks great.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

thanks for the responses guys.... I'm going to try it our perhaps on my rear swim platform which cops alot of abuse (my fav spot fishing between the motors) and if that survives the punishment then i might think about the rest of the boat... If doesn't work out, it might be a pain in the arse getting it back to a clean surface again but hey, no harm in elbow grease and thinners right? I'm curious about the sanding back of the non slip surface, was that part of the factory recommendation? I'm guessing the lighter colours might fair best under heavy traffic?? might investigate the other material moose was mentioning - thanks mate - you're a wealth of knowledge...

Ausfish Platinum Member

Seems you need a smooth surface to get the adhesive backing to stick. Makes sense, just think about sticky tape.

I got seadek on my little boat and it is the best money u can throw at a boat, looking at putting it on all the other now.
    Its not slippery when wet like carpet ir other surface. Blood doesnt stain it at all. I give it a general hose down after fishing, and when it gets bad, the high oressure hose comes out and it's new again.
    I got the light fawn colour and around the fuel filler lid, u can see some colour discoloration from overfill and me being a tool.
    don't put it on a boat that you intends to crab in. Those critters make short work of the stuff.
    the adhesive is mighty hood and havent even budge after all the abuse.
    I would put a photo up, but Im on the wrong device in the lounge and Im dreading window 10 updates.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

I am using the cheap ebay knock off eva flooring - grey with black stripe. Fitting was easy using a sharp stanley knife and or scissors. It has 3M adhesive. I have had it down for 6 months so far. I stuck it straight over anti skid decking - you dont need a flat floor.

In the six months:
    I have acid washed the boat - adhesive didnt lift
    I store my boat in dry rack storage - get diesel soot and rubber from forklift all over the boat - eva cleaned better than the fibreglass
    I used a high pressure cleaner for deck and eva - it handled it fine, I did try and get a mark out going really close with HPC - it did start to pull it apart - therefore dont get too close with them
    Stain resistance is good - as above (fish blood washes straight off - if new - havent let it harden yet
    Looks good - for diy job - getting custom cut and routed would be great
    Feels great under foot

I bought two 2.4 metre rolls for $75 each ($150 in total) - i.e. if it turned out crap I havent got a big investment,

If I get 12 months out of it - I am a winner for the $150,

All indications are that I will easily get that - I kept the templates for my cutouts - so if I need to replace every 12 months for $150 I feel I am still winning

I like it - better than carpet on previous boats

Cheers Adam