Thread: Trim/Trim Tab Question

Trim/Trim Tab Question

Hi everyone,

I recently installed a set of lenco’s on my barcrusher primarily to solve its tendency to lean to either port or starboard depending on wind direction and/or weight distribution (read heavy set mates).

The question I have now is, if you have trim tabs fitted, do you still use the trim on the out board or simply forget it and use the tabs or use mix of both?

Cheers
    Farside

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Trim/Trim Tab Question

You still use the motor trim to get the best ride too.

Outboard is primary trim. Get your boat riding best it can with motor. Then supplement with tabs.

If your heavily reliant on tabs then your tabs fight the motor which isn't good. Can be dangerous in following sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

If you have fuel economy on any of your instruments you will see you get best economy with your motor trimmed level then use your tabs to do any trimming if you are launching off the tops of waves heading out for instance. Obviously if it is rough you might have the leg trimmed right down and some tab as well so you can punch into it.

You can only in-trim with tabs, you'll need to use the motor to get any out-trim for a following sea etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums