Thread: Windscreen wiper options

Windscreen wiper options

Gday guys, just interested in opinions on windscreen wipers on boats? I currently just use rainex and it is great for possibly 1 trip if the weather is really ordinary and a few trips if it’s reasonable. I am thinking a wiper may be a better option in the longer term? Are they successful or more hassle than they are worth? How much is involved in fitting them?

I’ll try to post a pic of what it’s for.

Cheers
    LeeIMG_3044.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Windscreen wiper options

on glass screens. wouldnt go back to not having one

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

You see plenty of them stuffed after a few years. Either go cheap with view to replacement when required or make sure parts are readily available. Used to sell Exalto. Pricey as hell but seemed to be reasonable quality. Biggest issue may be room if not allowed for in the design of the boat.

Thanks guys, I have a bit of room above the screen in a bit of a bulk head that may fit one. A bit more research is required yet.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Nice rig!

Surprised you see any water on the screen of the big girl

Yeh Watto, when it’s rough and windy and trimmed well in it is pretty wet, rides great but wet in the wrong conditions

Hi Lee,
    I used these - motors did eventually seize on the shafts but lasted about 4 years

And grabbed a washer bottle and motor from the car wreckers.

Gday Rob, was there much involved in fitting them? I had a bit of a look today and I don’t have a great deal of room above the glass and below the roof to fit them. I reckon about 40mm. The motor would be in a water protected area so I could keep them dry. I probably need to buy one and see if it’s going to fit. Do you think it is something that warrants playing around with?
    Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
    Lee

Hi Lee,
    Definitely worth having if they will fit.
    I use mine all the time and would not own an enclosed cabin boat without them.
    You do have a tight area to fit them tho by the sounds of it.

Just give the deckie a sqeegee. They won't mind.......honest😉

Thanks Rob, that’s probably what I really needed to hear. I will grab a motor to start with and see if I can get it to fit.

Scottar, I have enough trouble getting reliable deckies as it is let alone one that could handle a squeegee as well

Could you fit one of those high speed disk set ups (clear view) like
    ships have to a rec boat?

Make sure you put in a washer bottle as well, as sometimes you get just enough sea spray to dry up and foul up the screen with dried salt.

He'd have to replace the glass windscreens as I think holes are required in the wipers you're talking about Crunchy.