Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor hard to pull start

Motor hard to pull start

Hi,

I have a Mercury 40Hp motor that hadn't been used in about 4-5mths. I tried to start it the other day but it's strangely hard to pull and it comes out in like sections each pull.

It's in neutral (tried putting it into gear and back a few times) and new petrol but it's still doing it. Finally after about 40 pulls and getting the rhythm right, I was able to start the motor. Once the motor started it ran just fine and left it on for a while. It's just the starting mechanism/pull rope that seems like it's getting jammed or stuck.

Able to start the motor now after a few pulls if I can get the rhythm right for a straight pull (not that easy) but can't get rid of the tension.

Tried spraying oil all around the area (& flywheel?) to see if that would help but it didn't.

Here's a short video of what happens: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jUE...ew?usp=sharing

Does anyone know what could be wrong or where to start looking for the problem?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Re: Motor hard to pull start

Umpteen years ago I had a Merc 45Hp, 4 cylinder 2 Carbie, I think your jamming could be due to the compression stroke of the motor. But I do not know if later motors had some form of de compression gizmo that I have come across in a lawnmower that make it easier to pull/start, and if so this item may be faulty.

Peter

Looks normal to me. It's not a lawnmower. They require a bit of muscle. My old 40 Johnno was a two handed standing with a foot up on the seat affair or the compression would just about rip your shoulder apart

Ausfish Platinum Member

Used to work an ab boat with a 50hp Evinrude pull start. Put me off bloody outboards for years.

I'm not sure if my motor has it either Peter but from what Scott and Ranmar maybe this is just normal?

This is the first time I've pull started it myself so I can't recall what it was actually like 4-5mths ago when I got it. Have always had electric starts previously so never had this issue.

Thanks for the confirmation. Just wanted to check so I didn't have to bring it in for a repair unnecessarily.. glad to know I'm just weak lol

You need to do one long continuous pull, stopping at each compression stroke won't work because the magnets in the flywheel need to pass the coils quickly to generate a good spark.

With my Old Merc, I could add a starter motor. Suggest you look into this, and if so follow up outboard wreckers, of course you will then need a battery etc.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    You need to do one long continuous pull, stopping at each compression stroke won't work because the magnets in the flywheel need to pass the coils quickly to generate a good spark.
    Yep that's what I tried to do but it just goes hard at each section so I thought something was wrong and was worried I'd rip the rope or damage something if I kept doing it. I think I was expecting it to pull just like a lawnmower. Two hands and with a bit of effort it does pull all the way though.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSA View Post
    With my Old Merc, I could add a starter motor. Suggest you look into this, and if so follow up outboard wreckers, of course you will then need a battery etc.

Peter
    Was actually considering this but saw that new units were around $800 + install. Didn't know there was actually an outboard wrecker.. will do a search.

Thanks

I have a 40hp Yamaha pull start and have no trouble with starting it. Not much different to the lawn mower.
    May be hard to explain to people who have electric start.
    Last edited by bazza65; 03-12-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: wrong name

Re (Didn't know there was actually an outboard wrecker.. will do a search) .

Most Boat/Motor Sales yards in Adelaide have a workshop where they service outboards, a few I have seen have older outboards around or stacked up ready to go to recycle'ers/the dump maybe. I would phone a few workshops.

sounds like the decompressor isn't working. what year model is the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by bazza65 View Post
    I have a 40hp Yamaha pull start and have no trouble with starting it. Not much different to the lawn mower.
    May be hard to explain to people who have electric start.
    Ok, mine definitely doesn't come out as easy as a lawnmower and assuming most 40HP motors are similar then maybe there might be an issue. This is what mine feels like, you can see it tense up with each turn: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jUE...ew?usp=sharing

Tried youtubing to see some 40HP pull starts but the closest I could see was a guy that did get it started in one pull but was a ridiculously hard pull so wasn't really telling me much.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    sounds like the decompressor isn't working. what year model is the motor?
    It's a 2006 model. Is there a way I can check this or would it require a proper boat mechanic & tools?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSA View Post
    Re (Didn't know there was actually an outboard wrecker.. will do a search) .

Most Boat/Motor Sales yards in Adelaide have a workshop where they service outboards, a few I have seen have older outboards around or stacked up ready to go to recycle'ers/the dump maybe. I would phone a few workshops.
    Thanks Peter, will do so if I end up going this path. Will see if I can put up with it or fix it (if it's a decompression thing?) first and if not go from there..

Re (It's a 2006 model. Is there a way I can check this) "DeCompressor"

I downloaded my Merc 50 4 stroke workshop from the Web all xxxx pages, so suggest U do a search.

Re " Put up with it" I think it could be a safety issue eg you are out with wife/partner/father, you hurt yourself, will they be able to start your motor, you can phone a friend/help and its Ok to wait if its a fine day but....

I've got a merc 30hp, 2009 model and it is real easy to start, had to do it when I forgot to charge the battery, I'd be doing a search or downloading the manual, you don't have to print so long as it's available for you to view it.