Thread: Borger Cat, Single Engine, Please tell me the good, bad and ugly

Ausfish New Member

Borger Cat, Single Engine, Please tell me the good, bad and ugly

A friend has fished with me for several years in my Kevlacat 2400 and he has decided he likes the ride of a cat. After much research he is now seriously considering a new 6m Borger Cat with a single engine (most likely a 200 hp). They are custom built in Ingham (just north of Townsville) and there are very few around so getting first hand feedback on their performance is difficult.

He currently has a 5.2m AMM so I dont think there is any doubt that that 6m Borger Cat will provide a superior ride. However, I am interested to find out more from owners about their good points, bad points and things that are hated outright. Things like:

- how do they go overall in varying sea conditions?

- are they weight sensitive? (add some people, ice, full fuel, gear, etc and what happens to ride quality?)

- how do you trim the boat with only a single engine? (depending on the angle of travel to the waves I like to trim my boat differently with one hull slightly higher for a side on sea. Twin engines also allow to trim for weight distribution and still get a level ride without having to shuffle people/gear around. Not sure how this would work with a single engine)

- turning circle and manoveuring (cats are bad but is a single engine better or worse)

- tunnel slap at anchor (no issue, mildly annoying or drives you mad?)

- fuel economy

- anything that you can think of that a potential buyer would want to know.

Many thanks
    Michael

Re: Borger Cat, Single Engine, Please tell me the good, bad and ugly

I can't comment on the Borger's performance with once engine but can comment on cats with one Engine. They go ok but the thing you mentioned about side to side trim is in certain seas. If I was to buy a borger for offshore work I would definitely be fitting trim tabs on each side to counter it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Not sure about the bigger ones but a smaller version is my dream boat.

A friend has just had one made but running twins, he raves about it but then it is his uncle that makes them. I havent heard from him for a while but when i get some feedback ill let you know. About the single drive thing, just dont. Ive had a couple of cats with single drives and all the issues you asked about have negative answers. Maybe not comparing apples with apples but Single diesel in 24’ shark cat was great for a work boat, OK but not ideal for pleasure boating and single drive in 18’ shark cat was great in a head sea bordering on dangerous in following sea.

Ausfish New Member

Thanks for your input. It seems that getting first hand feedback on these things is very difficult.

I have had a 5.3 borger with a 140 Suzuki and it was a great boat. Bit funny in a following sea but ate any chop. Well built boats. A 6 meter with twins would be sweet.

have been in perkos old boat and will agree it ate chop. it actually felt a lot bigger than a 5.3!!!

Hello Moray,
    I have a 4.3m Webster Twinfisher single engine cat, with a splitter in the tunnel.
    It handles and behaves perfectly in all situations.
    No cavitation or ventilation even in full lock turns.
    Only ventilates when I carelessly jump the whole boat and prop out of the water.
    Plenty of trim fore and aft, I use the crew to balance athwartships, (they are only ballast anyway).

Would a properly set up Borger run as well? I don't know try, contacting them and arranging a test run.
    This is a big $$$$ purchase and worth a trip the NQ.

Gday mate. I have been looking at them for a while now. I remember the first time I saw one - early 2000 out off townsville. It was around 5.3 or 5.4m single engine. I was in me new 5.2 platey mono and had no chance keeping up with especially in a head sea. I took a 6m one for a spin a couple of months ago out from Lucinda and have spoken to a few owners since. 30 knots plus thru .5 to .7 seas no worries. Ran in all directions and all good. No tunnel slap and you could tell when it wasn't trimmed out enough - it would sneeze a little bit. However once trimmed correctly all good. Lock to lock turns no worries. I didn't throw it around too much as it took a bit to get used to the boat leaning out in turns and was told by another owner it took him a bit as well but he has no worries throwing his around. Interestingly enough they will build a twin engine hull for a single engine- higher tunnel - if you want. And they apparently ride even better than the single engine hull. Also seems like they can handle a heap of horsepower. Great workmanship and really nice people to deal with. Trailers are a great build as well. Bit pricey but this is australia and to me it looks like you pay for what you get compared to other builds.
    I plan to put my 8m platey on the market in the new year and will go back for a more detailed look and hopefully have some crappy weather for another test drive.
    Hope this helps and good luck mate.