Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I think it's the Kiwi version .....

what do you call it ?
    dont know, describe stray lining, never heard of it! as far as floatlining, all our Snapper fishing is done with tiny sinkers "floated" down, baits are carefully cut, whereas in QLD, big chunks are just blobbed onto a hook and tossed over, so, unless we are drifting, where bigger leads are used, (and most proficient fishermen don't drift for Snapper) we always anchor and lightly burley, using small "floating" baits.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    dont know, describe stray lining, never heard of it! as far as floatlining, all our Snapper fishing is done with tiny sinkers "floated" down, baits are carefully cut, whereas in QLD, big chunks are just blobbed onto a hook and tossed over, so, unless we are drifting, where bigger leads are used, (and most proficient fishermen don't drift for Snapper) we always anchor and lightly burley, using small "floating" baits.
    that’s exactly how I bait fish for snapper ..... on the anchor or these days spot lock with the leccy. I then try to fish as lightly weighted as possible down a burley trail. Yes I would also call it fishing “floaters”. .... the kiwis call it stray lining as per the description - throw a stray line out the back and let it drift around.
    Normally I would fish this way in reasonably shallow water ..... <30m. But I’m trying to do it now in 60m . Unfortunately that means more current and more lead which has created the problem.

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

OK, so stray lining is just another term for fishing light weight (floating) bait. I fish with my mate at Caloundra pretty regularly, and he lived down here near me for years, and we fished NSW methods (anchor, light sinker to suit current, and well presented baits) after a few years up there, he fishes with a big "chunk" of Mullet, just threaded any old way on the hook and very heavy line and sinkers, not too sure if the fishing was just so much better, so he reverted to "good old days" methods or what, when he comes down here to visit, he reckons we fish for Snapper with Whiting gear! funny hey.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

We float line for snapper in 80m plus whilst drifting. Pillie on gangs with swivel on last eye. Piece of plastic that stops the sinker banging on swivel and knot and then sinker to suit conditions.
    If you get to the bottom too heavy, if you go too long without a strike change it up.
    I prefer to place the hooks into the top of the pillie, last hook should be through the head and mouth to stop the mouth opening, if you put them sideways and especially through the eyes, you normally will get a spinning bait.
    Prefer to use mono, it helps to suspend the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    We float line for snapper in 80m plus whilst drifting. Pillie on gangs with swivel on last eye. Piece of plastic that stops the sinker banging on swivel and knot and then sinker to suit conditions.
    If you get to the bottom too heavy, if you go too long without a strike change it up.
    I prefer to place the hooks into the top of the pillie, last hook should be through the head and mouth to stop the mouth opening, if you put them sideways and especially through the eyes, you normally will get a spinning bait.
    That's how we fish for mackerel .....

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've always found a slow feed out for float lining give the best results....
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Used to do this off Tempest, if you got more than 50 metres down without a strike, pull up and go again, they sit surprisingly high in the water column especially at night, during the day we would see big ones sunning themselves about 5 metres below the surface. You had to be on the flybridge though to spot them.
    We also chase red throats this way off Fraser.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I've always found a slow feed out for float lining give the best results....
    Agree 100% ....... love using the baitrunner this way.

This is the same way we cube for Tuna except we do it with a game rod tucked under the arm ...... very exciting when they are taking cubes at the back of the boat Hookup.jpg
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It sure is, caught hundreds of big Tuna doing that, the best going 95KG, and one memorable one off Narooma in my mates old ski boat, lots of laughs at the ramp, until my mate showed them the 71KG Yellowfin, caught right at the motor while Snapper fishing!