Thread: F150 yamaha loud shifting

F150 yamaha loud shifting

Got myself a new boat.

2300 noosacat with twin 150 yamahas.

Goes like a cut snake I gotta say! Probably the best riding boat over ever been in.

One thing I'm a smidge concerned about is the loud shifting into gear of the f150 yammies.
    I realise these motors are a hard/loud shifting motor from what I can research.

Anyone else have a f150 and experience this? It's a real loud clunk when the dog clutch engages. Bit louder than what I would expect.
    Motor runs flawlessly when in gear.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: F150 yamaha loud shifting

I’m no mechanic - but I can say that my F150 Yamaha is quiet and smooth gear shifting. I’ve only got low hours of around 250hrs. Congrats on your new purchase anyway! Sounds awesome boat - look forward to the fish slaying photo reports. Darren

I had a f150 for a few years, it wasn't any worse than most other motors I've had.
    I did have a f225 after it with an SDS prop, now that was super quiet! I wonder if you can fit SDS props to the f150's - probably?!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Cheers for the reply.
    I've had a lot of outboards over the years. Previous was a set of f115 yamahas. These were clunky but nothing notable.

I'm looking into a set of SDS props. Ok the hull truth it seems the f150 gets this question a lot. I believe it's inherent for the motor when running stainless props. Mine was surprisingly a bit clunkier/louder than anticipated.
    Unsure if the linkage under the shift rod can be adjusted or gets stretched/loose?

Fishbait do you run stainless or ally props? And what year is your motor?

Stainless Prop, 2011 model

I run an F150 2013 model, it can get clunky if you don't let the revs settle when first turning the motor over but then that's me, always in a hurry. I did have the issue where I changed my prop to a well known brand and it was clunky and also got 'prop slap' although you mostly heard the prop slap if you were down the back and only up to about 2000 RPM. I consequently replaced the prop with a Yamaha prop and it was supplied with an anti slap hub washer (not sure of the correct terminology) after talking to Stones Corner Marine (great service from these guys considering i didnt buy my motor from there but will for my next one).

Therefore I'm presuming that it is something Yammy was aware of and set out to fix.

F150 yamaha loud shifting

Thanks for the reply.
    From what I can read on other forums it's a common problem with the 4 cylinder yamahas.
    They have then developed the shift dampening props.
    I was just curious to how "much" of a clunk was acceptable. I always let the motors back to 650rpm before changing. But it's a lot harsher change than what I'm used to
    My throttles have a lot of throw on them. So maybe I need to be really aggressive and change to the SDS prop.