Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Valet / Trailer Dolly

Trailer Valet / Trailer Dolly

Dear All,

I have a slight incline into my garage and the road in front may be double parked on both sides. As such, I am thinking that I might need a trailer dolly to help move the boat/trailer into the garage and up the incline. I have used the cheap ones that basically are just like a trolley with two wheels and a ball but as my garage has an incline, I wonder if I have the strength to push the boat up safely. I have done some research and found this trailer valet. It is chain driven and not motorized. But costs about $700. It can also replace the dolly wheel on the trailer. It has brakes so that seems really helpful and is a safety issue to prevent the trailer and boat from running me over when I am trying to push it iup an incline nto the garage. Anyone used or tried something like this to get a boat/trailer into the garage via an incline? Thanks!

Re: Trailer Valet / Trailer Dolly

Not bad. The would do the job for you nicely. There are also motorised Caravan movers that might do the same job for you.

If you can get one for $700 buy three or for and sell the excess and the profit will pay for your.

I see Caravan RV & Camping (an Australian site) have them for $1299

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/...SABEgIuLfD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Not bad. The would do the job for you nicely. There are also motorised Caravan movers that might do the same job for you.

If you can get one for $700 buy three or for and sell the excess and the profit will pay for your.

I see Caravan RV & Camping (an Australian site) have them for $1299

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/...SABEgIuLfD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    $1299 is the XL version. I think I just need the basic one. I will check out the caravan movers. Thanks!

What suburb are you in mate, I’m located in Eltham Vic, I have a parkit 360 that you can borrow for a trial if you like. I also use for a slight incline and 90 turn from a shared driveway into carport for 1.7t single axle boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello SCTSCT,
    How heavy is your boat?

I have been using a machine very similar to one of these,
    http://www.klika.com.au/al-ko-10in-t...SABEgI1MvD_BwE

to push 750kgs up a steepish concrete driveway, easy.
    One way ratchet, which means that if you pushed it over a rise the trailer would run away down the other side.
    Not a problem for me in my application as it is all uphill.
    I use two wheel chocks as well and as I progress uphill I move the chocks after every 1/2 meter or so.
    It is economical, mechanically very simple and has performed well over the last 20 years or so.
    I would not recommend it for heavier trailers as the pneumatic tyre would not have enough grip.

I have a similar problem. A very narrow street out the front of my house a gravel driveway with a sharp incline for about fifteen metres into my carport. I installed a small power winch and after having the boat with the back facing the carport I just winch the boat/trailer up under the carport. I use a hand held remote and guide the boat up the driveway as I walk alongside it. This may not work for you as there may be cars double parked and you may not be able to reverse to line up the trailer, although if the street was flat you could unhitch the trailer and swing it around.

It's a 4.9 m glass boat so shd be abt 1.2 tons. Do u install it on your trailer and it doubles as a jockey?

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello SCTSCT,
    How heavy is your boat?

I have been using a machine very similar to one of these,
    http://www.klika.com.au/al-ko-10in-t...SABEgI1MvD_BwE

to push 750kgs up a steepish concrete driveway, easy.
    One way ratchet, which means that if you pushed it over a rise the trailer would run away down the other side.
    Not a problem for me in my application as it is all uphill.
    I use two wheel chocks as well and as I progress uphill I move the chocks after every 1/2 meter or so.
    It is economical, mechanically very simple and has performed well over the last 20 years or so.
    I would not recommend it for heavier trailers as the pneumatic tyre would not have enough grip.
    I had an idea for you croc

You could drag the chocks along on a light rope just behind your wheels so you don't have to keep moving them

Do you have an option of fitting a tow ball to the front of your vehicle and push it up the hill that way?
    What could go wrong.......................

I use a Supa Cheap $99 Boat Winch. Made a fitting to easily screw the BW to the back of the Trailer. Have a plate on the garage floor for the winch hook. Clamp the BW cables to the Boat battery, pull out the winch cable, hook to the floor plate and pull in.

Peter

Hello All,

The ratchet mover clamps to the trailer as a jockey wheel but is removeable. I would not like to leave it on the trailer at the boat ramp, considering that I now use plastic bearing buddies because the SS ones vanish.
    No good on gravel, not enough traction.
    You people with the electric winches, do you have a safety in case the winch fails and the trailer then runs away downhill?
    Dragging the chocks by rope would work but I need to check side clearance fairly often anyway so not really an issue.
    As for pushing 1.2t I have never tried anything that heavy.
    The limiting factor for me is traction not strength.

If your happy to wind a handle why not just use the winch on the front of the trailer to a point in the garage..

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Do you have an option of fitting a tow ball to the front of your vehicle and push it up the hill that way?
    Interesting....how do I go about doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSA View Post
    I use a Supa Cheap $99 Boat Winch. Made a fitting to easily screw the BW to the back of the Trailer. Have a plate on the garage floor for the winch hook. Clamp the BW cables to the Boat battery, pull out the winch cable, hook to the floor plate and pull in.

Peter
    Do you have photos? Sounds like a possible plan.