Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Valet / Trailer Dolly

Re: Trailer Valet / Trailer Dolly

I have the same scenario so what I do is reverse it right up the driveway as close as I can get it to the garage door. I then winch it the rest of the way using a traction-block.

I had some strong anchor points put into the ground and winched it in using one of these:
    Attachment 116547
    Works quite well and it has a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by xparte View Post
    I have the same scenario so what I do is reverse it right up the driveway as close as I can get it to the garage door. I then winch it the rest of the way using a traction-block.

I had some strong anchor points put into the ground and winched it in using one of these:
    Attachment 116547
    Works quite well and it has a remote.
    I would be interested in your method. But I can't see the attachment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar predicament to this:

Looks like it does inclines too:

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post
    I would be interested in your method. But I can't see the attachment.
    This is what I use:

Best thing is that it's 240v. Was going to do it with the 12v ones which was cheaper/longer rope but didn't have a spare 12v battery lying around and was too much trouble running wires to the boat battery and I may have needed to leave it there permanently bolted to the floor.

So had an anchor point bolted to the front and the back of the garage as the winch rope is only 5m long.

Attachment 116565

Front was to winch it from the lower half of the driveway and then I'd chock, re-hook it up to the back and get it all the way in. Found that I was able to reverse it all the way up to the garage door so never used the front one. So I get it up, chock the wheels, undo trailer from car and then hook the winch to the back anchor point and then to the trailer (via a short tow strap). The clearance from the garage door on each side of the boat is about 10cm so there'd be no chance me reversing it all the way in going up a slope.

It then rolls in quite easily using the remote and I just steer the bow and just keep moving the chock every 30cm or so with the wheels to be extra safe.

Best thing is that after I'm done, just unhook the winch and it packs away in seconds.

Ausfish attaches my images a bit strange so just in case you can't see the pic above, it's here: https://cdn-pro.dprcdn.net/files/acc_603205/aOjUJt

Quote Originally Posted by xparte View Post
    This is what I use

Best thing is that it's 240v. Was going to do it with the 12v ones which was cheaper/longer rope but didn't have a spare 12v battery lying around and was too much trouble running wires to the boat battery and I may have needed to leave it there permanently bolted to the floor.

So had an anchor point bolted to the front and the back of the garage as the winch rope is only 5m long.

Attachment 116565

Front was to winch it from the lower half of the driveway and then I'd chock, re-hook it up to the back and get it all the way in. Found that I was able to reverse it all the way up to the garage door so never used the front one. So I get it up, chock the wheels, undo trailer from car and then hook the winch to the back anchor point and then to the trailer (via a short tow strap). The clearance from the garage door on each side of the boat is about 10cm so there'd be no chance me reversing it all the way in going up a slope.

It then rolls in quite easily using the remote and I just steer the bow and just keep moving the chock every 30cm or so with the wheels to be extra safe.

Best thing is that after I'm done, just unhook the winch and it packs away in seconds.

Ausfish attaches my images a bit strange so just in case you can't see the pic above, it's here: https://cdn-pro.dprcdn.net/files/acc_603205/aOjUJt
    Sweet! Thank you. How much does it cost approximately? Where on the boat trailer do you attach the hook?

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post
    Sweet! Thank you. How much does it cost approximately? Where on the boat trailer do you attach the hook?
    I got it off eBay, it's around $250 but I wasn't in a rush so just got it when they had one of their 10% off promos.

I also grabbed one of these off eBay: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kogAA...Xu/s-l1600.jpg - 3 ton tow straps which I just wrap around several sections of the back of the trailer. I could probably just hook the winch hook to it but I feel safer doing this since it's an old trailer and it allows it to equalise the pull across the width of the trailer. I just then bring the ends back together and loop it through the winch hook.

Just be aware though that the pulling power on this is 450kg (of dead weight I assume since it can hoist). My setup is around 800-900kg but because it's rolling weight, it doesn't have a problem with it. There's a capacity bar led to show you how much pressure the winch is under and I never hit max. The 12v ones do a lot more like in the 1000-4000kg range. I almost went for something like this instead: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qHcAA...IN/s-l1600.jpg since the rope was longer and it was a lot stronger but the inconvenience of wiring the 12v battery made me take a chance on the 240v.

Took me a while to work out how I would do it and found this worked best for me with the least amount of fuss. Just take into account the amount of weight you need to pull and how steep your driveway is etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello SCTSCT,
    How heavy is your boat?

I have been using a machine very similar to one of these,
    http://www.klika.com.au/al-ko-10in-t...SABEgI1MvD_BwE

to push 750kgs up a steepish concrete driveway, easy.
    One way ratchet, which means that if you pushed it over a rise the trailer would run away down the other side.
    Not a problem for me in my application as it is all uphill.
    I use two wheel chocks as well and as I progress uphill I move the chocks after every 1/2 meter or so.
    It is economical, mechanically very simple and has performed well over the last 20 years or so.
    I would not recommend it for heavier trailers as the pneumatic tyre would not have enough grip.
    I think your option is the most economical. How does it work? Does it replace the jockey wheel and swing away when you are towing?

I think my BMT will be about 800-900kg. What do you think?

I could not find a video of it. But I found something similar called Manutec

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSA View Post
    I use a Supa Cheap $99 Boat Winch. Made a fitting to easily screw the BW to the back of the Trailer. Have a plate on the garage floor for the winch hook. Clamp the BW cables to the Boat battery, pull out the winch cable, hook to the floor plate and pull in.

Peter
    Do you have photos to show the fitting?

Hello SCTSCT,

My Powerwheel fits into a standard jockey wheel bracket on the trailer drawbar, well forward to allow swing left and right.
    I would not leave it on the trailer when towing as it is extra weight and would get stolen at the boat ramp.!!!!!
    I leave the trailer sitting on it when it is in the carport.
    Mine has a pneumatic tyre that would probably have more traction than a solid tyre??????
    As I have said earlier traction is the limiter not levering power.
    900kg yes, but as for steepness of driveway and surface grip on the driveway, unknown.
    I do progressively chock the trailer wheels as I go to prevent possible embarrassing and expensive trailer runaway.
    (Do the electric winch users have a safety line in case the winch fails?)
    Sometimes if I struggle for traction eg. after rain or my driveway has a buildup of mould I swing the drawbar side to side and use the chocks to walk the trailer uphill until the wheel can take over.

Saw this recently.

These look to be the right price..
    https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/12v-joc...ack-tr-mjk-01/
    Josh

On special eBay $ 239,00, free postage.