Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorway accident - repairing dent in Quintrex hull

Motorway accident - repairing dent in Quintrex hull

Hi all

Had some bad luck today and a car clipped my Quintrex and trailer on the motorway. Could have been a lot, lot worse that's for sure - no injuries fortunately.

DSC_6480.jpg

DSC_6481.jpg

DSC_6484.jpg

Trailer light bent and broken, as well as a bend in the swim platform (not a big deal really) but I'm more worried about the hull. Aside from the paint damage, the hull is dented on the side sheet between the chines on the weld. The weld appears to be completely fine and no obvious cracking.

I am getting some quotes on repairs tomorrow for an insurance repair, but is this something that can even be fixed? I heard it is difficult to fix aluminium dents as the dent stretches the metal and requires heat treatment to try and shrink it back down. Even then, short of cutting out the piece and replacing it, the repair isn't always successful.

I am not that worried from a cosmetic perspective, just whether this dent compromises the hull integrity, especially as it is on the side sheet joining to the transom. If the hull is likely structurally sound, I might just get the paint touched up and move on!

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers

Re: Motorway accident - repairing dent in Quintrex hull

I dont think youll have any worries at all with the hull, just my unqualified opinion.
    Shame about the damage, luckily it really doesnt look too bad.
    Nice boat, what u can see of it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Hi Ben thanks for your thoughts, yep hope all is not lost... it's a really nice boat see below.

Cheers

The biggest issue I can see would be its resale value.

I have put bigger marks on my bluefin berthing it at nudgee beach pontoon in the wind , a couple of years time you won’t even notice it . Nice boat as well , it would certainly be disappointing to say the least , enjoy . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I'm sure that could be dolly'd out, looks high enough to get access from inside?

Thanks all for the responses - I think access will be difficult as it is below the floor line which would need to be removed.

My biggest concern is hull integrity - if it is ok, I will probably just get it repainted and leave it as is.

Not much there and like Matt says bigger ones happen in berthing modes. Its a shame though as it is a very nice boat and I would be pissed off, you did get the car details that did it I hope and if you did and your going through insurance I doubt you'll have anything to worry about. Dent pullers are very good at this sort of thing, your biggest concern will be the paint job but if done by a pro you won't know the difference.

Just do a cut and polish on the side and fit a bit of timber on either side of the lip on the step and bend it the a decent sized if your not happy after some polish and elbow grease.

This is why you bought a tinny instead of a Seafarer. A bit more of an issue with frp.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Pretty cosmetic really. Annoying but not terminal.

Just straighten up the swim platform and touch up the paint on it and the hull.
    I wouldn't worry about the hull, it's a quintrex- if you saw what their presses did to the sheets your little kiss is minor league as long as the welds are okay. The first ding is always the hardest at least that's out of the way. Nice lookin boat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

A good cut should do. If you want just sand back, etch, fine 2 pac putty, sand , mask off area and paint

Thanks everyone for your advice - glad the hull is probably okay!

I'll give bending back the trailer bracket tomorrow and then will look at getting some paint/going through a pro painter.

Cheers!

I was towing a mates quintrex 5.3m boat and a guy ran up our ass my mates boat not insured neither was the other party, the guy that hit us up the ass pretty much said " try get the money out of me" total $÷£×÷# the tilt and trim pump and dented a SS prop

Few weeks pass on the same road i come to a stop and some stupid driver rear ends my boat as well could not believe it

I think they need better drving education in other countries

Sorry mate i will contribute to the thread in a better manner, your boat was in good condition before the accident i would not take anything unless its returned in same condition because once u sign off on it if the hull collapses its all on your self there after

I understand everyone’s comments and your thoughts - it’ll be hard as it’s below the waterline.

If your claiming against some unknowns insurance policy, surely you would be demanding that your boat be repaired, no matter how hard it is to do, to the perfect condition it was in before they caused the damage to your boat.

On another note. Whoever repairs it make sure you discuss with them how they intend to repair your boat. Wouldn’t want any shonky work done to cut corners to make it look good.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums