Thread: Caribbean Reef Runner

Ausfish Platinum Member

Caribbean Reef Runner

let's talk about a classic hull, one of the original great aussie icons, if I remember correctly. I just remember them as the ab divers big boat of choice in the seventies, in SA. Still around new, and looking like very good value indeed. Try and find one s/hand--apart from a few very old ones, they are just not available on the open market--I think they tend to sell without advertising.
    Latest iteration sees a reduction in deadrise from 23 to 21 degrees, and a remodelled dash to fit big screens. Thoughts?

Re: Caribbean Reef Runner

Tbere are a few second hand. From what i can tell they didn't sell in big numbers like Seafarer and Haines. Solid boat. Very very heavy for a 21 footer which is good for crushing chop and swell although they didn't ride more comfortably than the early Vagabonds which were a foot shorter and a fair bit lighter.

My mate had the V6 inboard but opted for a repower with V8 Merc Magnum 5.7l and it went much better.

Nice beamy boat but claustrophobic cabin in the half cab version and looked a little like a suppository. I wouldn't rate them over a Vagabond.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'd disagree about them being heavy heavy for a 21 footer--I know there are different ways of weighing a hull, depending on level of fitout, but they are specified as being 1020kg, lighter than the Cruisecraft and Haines of the same length. We always used to say they were heavy, but that was because they were 21 ft long. Compared to what is around now, nothing different.
    I know your queenslanders love your Cruisecrafts, Haines Signatures and Seafarers, but it's a bit different over here. I can just walk into a showroom here and walkout with a very well equipped Cruisecraft, for example, they are sitting on the floor marked as heavily reduced, but they are still really off the planet for pricing. Caribbean dealers all over the country are selling these Base price deals, which, of course, should be ignored if you want something really well equipped, but fit a Reef Runner out to the same level as the equivilant CC 625 Explorer hardtop and it comes in at $95k absolute tops. I'm comparing this to one currently for sale at the Bunbury dealer, with $125 k on it. CC has glass all round, Reef Runner standard has glass front, perspex side. Reef Runner has full lock up cab, CC has vinyl curtain. CC has walkthrough transom, RR has two rear compartments, both can be plumbed as livewells. BMT masses are about the same. Next delivery date on a new RR over here ATM is April 2018.
    Looked like a suppository?IMO, I'd say all the later iterations of those qld brands look like suppositorys, with those ugly bulging foredecks vs classic lines, and RR's haven't been made as a halfcab for a long time, IIRC. All hardtop now, with extended hardtop with infill clears available as a no-cost option.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Well, I've bitten the bullet and the deposit has been paid. Delivery likely by mid -March, as I scored one which was originally going into stock. Powering with a 150 Merc 4-stroke, 225 litres of fuel, Bennet tabs, extended hardtop with Bomar vents over each seat, Glass front/clears sides. Plumbed livewell, deckwash, underfloor icebox, etc. Also likely to go with the walk-through transom. I haven't finally decided on electronics options, but will likely be going with two MFD's, Ikw, 3-D. This will all be riding on a 2.5tonne Easytow drive-on trailer.

Ranmar I just realised...i think we are talking about 2 different boats. The original was a very heavy hull in a destroyer shape. No finesse and just got the job done. They needed weight down low hence the inboards. The new ones are a completely different boat. I recall them coming out. Time flies but the new ones probably came out what 15 or more years ago? Look like a nice hull. Enjoy your new one.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, I think there have been a lot of changes--I actually missed a brilliant opportunity to photograph two, one old, one new, the day I went out on one for a sea trial. He was pulling out of the power boat club on the trailer, and an old original, stern drive and all , was driving in. I just gawked, forgot about the phone in my hand.
    I don't know all the the changes that were made--I know deadrise went back to 21 deg from 23. It looks like the big changes in the hull were made mid 90"s(?). But still appear to be based around the Bertram design. Not offered in a stern drive any more. Since then, the changes seem to be more trim and dash layout--they got rid of the wood trim in the cab not that many years ago, upholstery is nicer, and the dash had more real estate to reflect changing needs. Current dash is the 3rd change since 2009 (?), just from looking at videos of s/h models.
    Certainly looking forward to it--my place is starting to look like the week before xmas with all the purchases coming in.