Thread: Alloy boat paint repair's - diy advice

Alloy boat paint repair's - diy advice

I am contemplating the idea of a future project, tidying up the paint work around ths gunwales on my quintrex bowrider.

Boat is 15 yrs old but ive only had it a few months. The paint is bubbling around many of the snap fastners around the bow and a few of the travel cover hooks etc that are fastened on with s.s. screws.

Im not after a perfect, off the show room floor, but a nice tidy up.

Was thinking remove all fittings, strip any flaking paint with flap disc or rust and paint removing wheel on a grinder, spray can etch prime, fill with auto body filler or primer filler, block sand, mask everything and spray a few coats of a closely matching spray can white.

Can anyone with any experience doing a similar job give me any advice?

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Re: Alloy boat paint repair's - diy advice

Don't use cheap spray cans, I think you can still buy "genuine" cans and they are so much better than the cheap hardware store stuff.

Make sure you use good joining compound like Duralac or a new one on the market called Tuff Gel when you reinstall the stainless steel fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus_1 View Post
    Make sure you use good joining compound like Duralac or a new one on the market called Tuff Gel when you reinstall the stainless steel fittings
    Yea i have some tefgel.
    I think i will try to find some appropriate sized nylon washers too.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk