Thread: Fly Lines for wind

Fly Lines for wind

Having now been firmly bitten by the Bonefish bug after going to Kiribati in July I am now planning the first year of my semi retirement dealing with this serious addiction. As a "mug" fly fisherman I learnt a lot in a hurry and am looking at Andros in March before going back to Kiribati in July again. Seems like Bahama bonefish are much bigger on average and it maybe is not quiet as windy (all the time like CXI). Rio Bonefish quickshooter and using line 1 weight above the rod class seems to get a fair bit of recommendation, particularly for casting under 40 feet and in the wind. Any views?

Re: Fly Lines for wind

What about a scientific angler bone fish taper they have a longer bell,with your leader and the longer belly you will just have the rear taper in your have when casting short distances into the wind.

Had a shot yesterday with a 9 weight Rio Bonefish quickshooter on an 8 weight Sage. Really got away a quick cast tp about 40 feet with 1 backcast but did find when trying to do long casts the line was hiting the water on my back cast. Conditions were pretty much windless. I will try the same line on an 8 weight Loop next time out searching for the elusive Whitsunday Bones/.

I have to confess that I am pretty much a novice when it comes to fly fishing, but I do enjoy it, and regularly fish the ocean near my place for Mullet, Blackfish, Bream and Trevally with reasonable success, all that said, there is a guy that I know that I consider to be an "expert" in this, and he has shown me lots of tips. Yesterday he was playing with a new line he just got, it's a bit hard to explain (seeing as I have no idea) but, it is a heavy line, but only a few metres long, the rest can be mono (I think) and what it does is allows a quick cast without the usual back and forth (if you get what I mean) you can simply flick it out in one quick cast, it kind of takes the wind out of the equation while the line is in the air. I know this sounds vague, mainly because I really only saw him using it on my way to the beach for a swim, and briefly spoke to him, but I see him a few times a week if you want me to quiz him a bit more, he knows what he is doing, and has been salt water fly fishing for decades.

While it makes being accurate a bit harder, one tip Harro used to give is to turn around and shoot on the back cast. Also worth chasing up some of Lefty Kreh's videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have to confess that I am pretty much a novice when it comes to fly fishing, but I do enjoy it, and regularly fish the ocean near my place for Mullet, Blackfish, Bream and Trevally with reasonable success, all that said, there is a guy that I know that I consider to be an "expert" in this, and he has shown me lots of tips. Yesterday he was playing with a new line he just got, it's a bit hard to explain (seeing as I have no idea) but, it is a heavy line, but only a few metres long, the rest can be mono (I think) and what it does is allows a quick cast without the usual back and forth (if you get what I mean) you can simply flick it out in one quick cast, it kind of takes the wind out of the equation while the line is in the air. I know this sounds vague, mainly because I really only saw him using it on my way to the beach for a swim, and briefly spoke to him, but I see him a few times a week if you want me to quiz him a bit more, he knows what he is doing, and has been salt water fly fishing for decades.
    Called a shooting head. Usually used with a braided mono section behind it that resists tangling. They were popular for chasing longtails in Moreton Bay when I had my dabble into fly fishing years ago.

Just back from a week Bonefishing South Andros in the Bahamas in a variety of conditions and using 3 different line types. In calmer conditions with good light the standard Rio Bonefish taper was probably the best line for often long distance shots. Low light levels when it was cloudy but still relatively calm the Rio quickshooter was better and this usually was about short notice shots inside of 30 feet for hard to see fish. This line did have the advantage of really not needing false casts. I did have a couple of really windy days and ran a 9 weight Scientific Angler Amptitude over an 8 weight rod and it was an outstanding combo in 25 knot conditions where some of the guys were having no hope controlling their casts. All up the SA line 1 size over the rod was I think the most successful combo and the one I will use as first cab off the rank in Kiribati in July. Fun to have a full week and time to try a few kinds.Attachment 116922

Your on the right track KC,
    Most of Rio's lines are a weight over in any case,
    IMHO, Belgian cast will be a great help in those conditions
    Integrated shooting heads are a great option also but you usually trade off finesse
    ..........Gary