Thread: Fuel Guage on Suzuki Digital Gauge

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Fuel Guage on Suzuki Digital Gauge

Hi

Just chasing some advice. I have just had a new boat built and the outboard dealer installed the single Suzuki digital display that gives you read outs on everything. The boat builder did not install a fuel sender wire into the tank because he told me the Suzuki display had a fuel display on it and read everything through the motor. I have entered the tank size on the display but it does seem to come up with a fuel gauge. Will it still do this? My Garmin sounder I had to enter the tank size and it has a gauge on it, but can't seem to bring it up on the Suzuki one. Thanks for any advice given!

Cheers Stuart

Re: Fuel Guage on Suzuki Digital Gauge

Mate you need a fuel sender for the digital display to work.

as Micheal said ,get a sender compatible with the gauge ,install it then calibrate the sender to the tank ,just went through the process myself .

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Sjp2

Is it possible to fit a sender afterwards? My tank is under floor and the floor is stuck down. Does it get welded in or how does it work?

cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member

You are out of luck , by the sound of it. What the builder PROBABLY meant was that the Suzuki gauges will give you a fuel flow/fuel used/trip readout. From this, knowing your tank capacity, you should know how much you have left , as long as you reset the fuel used each time you fill up. You'll find that this is a much safer method than relying on fuel gauges anyway, boat fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate , whereas the fuel flow to the motor is much more accurately monitored by the motors ECM, from which the trip figures are derived.

Yes, forget about the dial-type or bar style “gauge”.

The new Suzuki digital engine data display (gauge) that you have shows very very accurate fuel use, so much so that it cannot even be calibrated like the old ones.

Just rely on the figure for fuel used, and get into the habit of resetting it to full when you fill up.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Moonlighter was very helpfull to me when i was wondering about a fuel sender or relying on just the gauge but as the tank was not finished i decided on installing a sender as well ,guess i was used to looking at the fuel gauge in my car more then having the trip meter telling me how many klm left to travel with the remaining fuel in the tank or usage,your tanks in so just get used to the gauge on empty .

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Guys. Will have to get in the habit of filling up every trip. I presume the fuel gauge on the Garmin that is linked in with the Suzuki display should be pretty accurate. It asked for a fuel tank size and gets data from the motor as well so am I right in thinking this will be accurate. Just used to looking at a fuel gauge in my old boat.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstu View Post
    Thanks Guys. Will have to get in the habit of filling up every trip. I presume the fuel gauge on the Garmin that is linked in with the Suzuki display should be pretty accurate. It asked for a fuel tank size and gets data from the motor as well so am I right in thinking this will be accurate. Just used to looking at a fuel gauge in my old boat.

Thanks again.
    No need to fill up.
    Just reset gauge when you do
    It will give you cumulative fuel use since last reset ( fill)

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

after you fill up not before i presume ,i just reset the tank to see what the gauge would show after a trip and i just lost all the tank calibration and no information ,must have pressed the wrong button i guess .anyway the new tank is coming back out cause its got some pinhole leaks but at least i know how to calibrate it now ,but better read up on how to get my fuel usage for the trip so i can work out the remaining fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstu View Post

Thanks again.
    It should be taking its fuel used data from the Suzuki gauge, so it should be the same.

Anyway its easy to check this yourself - at the end of a trip, check both the Suzuki gauge and the Garmin, and see if they match!

Whenever you refill the tank, just reset to full. You would only fill up after every trip if you need to in order to have enough fuel for the next time you go out.

Tenzing, the new Suzuki gauges work a little differently to the old Suzuki networks that use the interface cables. All you can do when you add fuel is to reset the “fuel used” to zero. They expect you to be able to do the mental maths to figure out how much you have left in the tanks.

They do not allow you to do a “partial fill” where you add x amount of fuel but dont fill up. I have expressed my view to them that this was a silly decision because quite a few people, especially on boats with very large fuel tanks, may not want to always be having to fill their tanks all the way to the top every time.

The new gauges only shows fuel used, not fuel remaining. (Although if you have another screen on the network, fuel remaining may be able to be calculated by and shown on them).
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Bugger about the tank having to,come back out but I would get a sender unit put in it while it's out and get a separate gauge.
    I know it's supposed to be accurate and calibrated blah blah blah but after getting towed home out of fuel while still showing 40 odd litres left I don't trust computers even fed direct from the engine, much the same as fuel usage trip computers in a car IMO.
    While an old school gauge is not 100 % accurate it's a good indicator of the real level straight from the tank not what a computer says you have/haven't used over the last few trips.

cheers Ryan