Thread: Hello, first Oz Boat Advice appreciated

Hello, first Oz Boat Advice appreciated

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and also new to boating in Victoria. I have done a couple of trailer boat rentals in NSW in a runabout type. Now looking to get a boat for myself and secondarily, for the family. Closest waters to me now are Werribee South River and the bay in that area. It may change anytime in the next year. I have never done any boat fishing in Victoria and am not sure what kind of boat would be best. I have owned a 18 foot / 5.5 m trailer aluminium boat before in the US and did quite a bit of river and lake fishing for the usual walleye, salmon etc. Boat fishing was mostly trolling for walleyes and salmon, and occasionally bottom fishing in the rivers for catfish etc.

Right now, I am looking at a rig that would fit in my garage of 5.9m long and garage door height of 2.1 m. Also, I am hoping to spend not more than 30K. Primary purpose is to fish the waters near me. That would mean 2-3 persons at most in the boat with 2 young children. A few times a year, we may drive the 3-5 hours to go to a large lake for swimming. In that case, it would have to be able to accomodate up to 4 children.

I am not keen on tillers and I think a bemini with clearns would be good although I am not sure if that is critical if I am fishing early morning and late afternoon. In the US, my boat had bemini and clears but it only got used very rarely as the sun was not as searing there. The only time it got used was to keep the heat in when fishing in chilly autumn nights when temperatures went below 5 degrees C (had a portable heater on the boat), or when it was raining. Also, thinking that a stern ladder would help kids get in the boat.

I have been looking at boat sales extensively for last month or so for used boats and have considered the following brands such as Quintrex, Stacer, Clark, Surtees to name a few. But it is hard to find boats that are outfitted as well as the US boats with storage, rod lockers, livewell and convertible seats etc. As such, I have looked at crestliner, G3 boats and tracker boats although I have not gone to the dealers yet as they are too far away. I have also looked at polycraft which is an interesting option. In addition, the small Savage type cuddy cabins also appeal to me but they are usually more than 20 years old.

The most important thing now is to make sure that I get a boat and motor that is well made that will not give issues in the next few years. I read about the G3 transom issues due to electrolysis and that sort of freaked me. My preference for motors is yamaha and suzuki. Secondly, nice layout with storage is a major plus as well as a deep boat for kids to sit in. As such, the bass style type of fishing boats are probably not ideal. I would appreciate some advice or pointers from any of you who has gone through the experience of boat owning and fishing in Victoria. Thank you so much in advance and I apologize for this longish post.

Re: Hello, first Oz Boat Advice appreciated

Welcome SCTSCT,

Biggest diff you prob find here is the cost of boats is high and 2nd hand boats even higher (comparatively). Unfortunately unlike the US where boats seem to almost halve in value when you drive them out of the showroom, they really hold their value here. Desirable 2nd hand boats hold their value to such a degree that you virtually sell them for purchase price (except extras) years down the track.

I have owned a number of boats starting from tinnies, plate alloy and then several glass boats. Personally I wouldnt own a alloy boat anymore unless weight was a huge factor (traveling offroad to NT etc). So cant really help with choice of alloy boats. When the Aus $ was higher quite a few guys here imported US boats (I imported a Grady White for a mate). There may be some US alloy boats around the 2nd hand market.

The $30k budget should get you something reasonable but prob restrict you to smaller or 2nd hand.

Good luck.

Hi SCTSCT

I spent a few years in that part of Victoria and what I can say is that the snapper season in port phillip bay is a lot colder than it is in Queensland and the bay and weather in general can turn from nice to crappy in a instant. I would seriously consider some sort of cabin, cuddy or half cabin , to give you some sort of protection from the elements. There is nothing worse than comming home in 20 knots wind and side on bay chop and the kids and missus complaining about getting wet and cold.

I would have thought that 30 K would be ample for a 5.5 m aluminium cuddy of some description with a decent motor, in my opinion its better to have a good reliable motor rather than the flashest newest looking boat so get the best motor you can afford on a decent boat. I cant comment on indiviual ally cuddys as I havent owned one and personally I prefer fibreglass boats in that size range.

There is a saying about Melbourne , "four seasons in one day " my experience was 3 of those seasons were winter!, any way I wish you good luck and welcome to the forum.

Cheers
    Hunter

Streaker Boats

Thanks all for the advice. I have more or less narrowed down to a 4.8, fiberglass cuddy. Brand new looking at 49K from dealer. A used one at about 38-39K for a 2013/2011 respectively. The 2011 is from a dealer and has a 60hp yammy whereas the 2013 has a 70 hp yammy but its a private sale. Would appreciate any advice on buying privately and what possible issues I should be aware of. Also, any point getting a full marine inspection? And what is the usual way of buying a used boat privately? Do I transfer funds after signing the sales agreement before taking over the boat etc etc? And finally, what other fees or costs am I liable for? eg. GST or license, or transfer fees? Finally, is there some place where I could get a book price on boats? Thanks once again!

PS. One more thing - what is the link between the streaker 458 cuddy versus the 485 navigator? Is the 458 discontinued and replaced by the 485? THanks!

If you only have a 5.9m garage, i doubt you will fit in comfortably anything larger than 4.6m. i have a 5.0m, with a standard redco trailer, and it comes in at around 6.1m. do your measurements before you commit!

I second that. You would hate to be caught out.

Look at the measurements for the baby Cruisecraft here and you can see what sort of length that boat size roughly needs. http://www.cruisecraft.com.au/showro...plorer_485.php

The measurement is prop to hitch with the motor vertical. The measurements they had for my 530 are very accurate.

Will most likely fit if you put the trailer in the garage on an angle, if you have a double garage that is.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Oh, i'd say height could be a problem getting it in the garage door!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

OK. I will double check on the dimensions again.

However a few questions. There are couple of options which I wonder if I should go with the boat dealer or would it be cheaper if I were to do it outside?

They are the following with prices installed :

1. Front and side clears $660
    2. Tonneau cover $560
    3. Stress free anchor winch $2900 (includes stainless steel roller and bow roller and anchor)
    4. Transom stainless steel telescoping ladder $220

Would appreciate any advice as well as the necessity of these options. Obviously, cost is a consideration that is why I am posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    I second that. You would hate to be caught out.

Look at the measurements for the baby Cruisecraft here and you can see what sort of length that boat size roughly needs. http://www.cruisecraft.com.au/showro...plorer_485.php

The measurement is prop to hitch with the motor vertical. The measurements they had for my 530 are very accurate.
    Oh interesting! Cruiscraft also has an explorer 485. I did not know that until I read your post. Cruise crafts look really nice! I suppose there is a definite price premium to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post
    Oh interesting! Cruiscraft also has an explorer 485. I did not know that until I read your post.
    They no longer make it however they would be available used.

With stressfree, look and see if it is a freefall model. Front and side clears would be worth their weight in gold come a melbourne winter

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    With stressfree, look and see if it is a freefall model. Front and side clears would be worth their weight in gold come a melbourne winter
    OK. Thanks! But do you think that I could get a better price if I shop around?

OK, I would assume that it is the miniMe version and hence not freefall. Also, the install includes bow roller and an upgraded larger anchor holder.