Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat trailers

Re: Boat trailers

maintenance comes to mind, the less you have to do on a trailer, the longer you can fish... Source a i beam alloy trailer with out the rollers/bunks,and have your local fab guy weld up a cradle with skids, similar to the one in post #4 it will have your personal touch on how /where and what youve done, keep the weight down ,no rollers/roller supports to replace, it will be simple/strong/last years , other wise have a geeza at savage bunk trailers. On a side note these new off road trailers getting around now certainly are high off the ground, good for bush but bad for launching.

Thats what i did to my new trailer as per my suggestion and i saved anywhere from $3k -6K according to various quotes i got to do the job, took my trailer and parked next to a trailer of well known brand and compared the welds, well lets say my local guys work was extremely professional, ill be going the same way again in the next few years with my smaller tinnie.

My experience and from researching the same 12 months ago....

I-beam versus tube, go I-beam if you intend keeping the trailer beyond a normal lifespan. I-beam is so easy to re-life by stripping it down and sending it for re-galvanising and yes they will accept them for galvanising with rust on them whereas they will not accept tube trailer frames with rust on them.

Aluminium versus steel, nothing in it weight wise if the aluminium is built right. Can expect better corrosion resistance from the aluminium but you pay for it with fatigue if doing long travels or rougher roads.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post
    Aluminium versus steel, nothing in it weight wise if the aluminium is built right. Can expect better corrosion resistance from the aluminium but you pay for it with fatigue if doing long travels or rougher roads.

Darren
    An aluminium trailer to the same weight will be stiffer and stronger than a steel one and last forever. This issue with alloy trailers is people can’t help but try and save weight and this can result in a floppy fatigue sensitive trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    An aluminium trailer to the same weight will be stiffer and stronger than a steel one and last forever. This issue with alloy trailers is people can’t help but try and save weight and this can result in a floppy fatigue sensitive trailer.
    Yeah, I tend to agree.

Not a single trailer manufacturer that I can find builds a decent heavy duty trailer. Usually just gussets on their standard trailer.

I think you'd have to go custom built. Request what material ,configuration, springs,hubs, brakes you want then get them to make it.

Making your own trailer gets you the best result. Next best is specify what you want and have it made custom.
    Don't settle for any of the mass produced trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums