Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Small Pod 25-30hp

Re: DIY Small Pod 25-30hp

I have a feeling that you achieve the ability to carry a heavier motor just by hanging a pod on either side of the transom cut out.

The way my 10 footer behaves now with the two pods and you would find too, you would be struggling to get any water into the boat through the cut out no matter how quickly you slowed down. You probably don't need to worry about filling it in.

My best man has the same boat and has used it for forty odd years fishing solo most of the time chasing snapper etc all over Port Phillip Bay in all weather. They are a very buoyant, seaworthy little boat. Two pods wont hurt but a full unit across the stern just might be a little too much.

The other thought is that maybe you should just use it as is for a while to get a better idea of what you may need to add?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

This is a drawing of what i had in mind for shape because the smaller 25hp/30hp outboards have the lip on the transom clamps for the screws i would need that lip on the transom also

just a bit of info this was my cousin's boat he took it out twice in around 8 years on one of those occasion's i recall driving thru a 8 knot zone with 4 or 5 people on board and a huge glass cruzer came flying past us doing easy 60kph as i slowed down for the passing idiot i went to idle and the wake from this other boat almost swamped the rear right of this tinny so i think by adding the pod it should add some buoyancy and be a plus

"with 4 or 5 people on board" The concept of overloaded (or very close to it) comes to mind?
    What could go wrong.......................

Pretty sure 5 is legal on a 4.5m boat Chimo what about when u take kids into consideration 2 kids = 1 adult thats 6 kids 1 adult legally

I shorten the pod a little in width just to cheap out on plywood i wanted to make the whole pod from one sheet which i dont think i am going to achieve anyhow this is how it sits now its basically cut out and screwed together for now

do you have a short shaft transom, looks like it from the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    do you have a short shaft transom, looks like it from the pic?
    yeah it's short shaft mate it was hard to lift and clamp the pod on to get a view of it so its not positioned correctly needs to come up a little

you really need to make the pod high enough to hang a long shaft motor. the short shaft motor will sit so low in the water it will get swamped. even if you don't do a pod conversion, raise the transom to 20" and get a long shaft engine.

I hear what your saying i thought the buoyancy in the pod would provide enough flotation? the pod is only 300mm from front to back do u think that would make such a drastic change it could be swamped? since the boat hasnt been used in a very long time around 8+ years there are no water marks to show the depth it'll sit at at the transom so i am flying blind here however the pod does sit a little higher than pictured i just couldn't lift it and clamp it in place by my self

the reason i am running with the SS motor is my cousin spent a fortune on rebuilding it and having the pressed crankshaft torn apart and rebuilt so a nice chunk of cash has been spent on it

it's obviously going to sit low to the being a S/S, but also, it's now going to be exposed ton waves from all directions. personally, i'd keep the motor for another project, and and modify the boat to whatever you choose, but with a long shaft engine. A 50hp long shaft would be ideal!
    i,ve driven the same boat with both a 25 and a 50hp, and i know what i'd choose!

I donno man i might sell it i am unsure, The boat would look nicer with a long shaft pod without me being a cheapskate and using 2 sheets of ply instead of 1 it would also make sense to go a long shaft just for the swamping reason alone, I think the SS would be great for rivers but i plan on doing some outside trips

I will have to get this motor running and sell it to fund a LS if i do the change

[QUOTE=gazza2006au;1637921]I donno man i might sell it i am unsure, The boat would look nicer with a long shaft pod without me being a cheapskate and using 2 sheets of ply instead of 1 it would also make sense to go a long shaft just for the swamping reason alone, I think the SS would be great for rivers but i plan on doing some outside trips

I will have to get this motor running and sell it to fund a LS if i do the change

it will be worth it in the end!

I've drawn what i think would be the water line using the SS motor sits up at a nice height, I think if i made the LS pod it may look a little dicky as the pod would be really high on the transom i will try draw something up for the long shaft after i go take some measurements

i would just use the boat in it's current configuration, unless you want to spend a lot of money. at the end of the day, it's a +40 year old boat, and no amount of jazzing it up is going to make it more modern. Also, what happens if you change back end to a pod, and it changes the whole characteristics of the boat, not necessarily for the better.
    your better off cleaning it up, sell it, make a few bucks. go through the process a few times till get enough coin to then get the right boat!

I could probably do that but the thing is this was my cousins boat and he is pretty tight with his assets he doesn't just let things go easy so it must have came up in a conversation that if my cousin done the swap with me he knew 100% i would get the boat on the water and if i sold it he would probably never swap or sell me anything again

my cousin just gave me a seized 30hp Mariner which the rings were seized from being stored for 10 years i got her freed up and running so if i go a head with the pod this Mariner will be the test turkey to see if it falls off