Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Small Pod 25-30hp

Re: DIY Small Pod 25-30hp

good luck, just don't destroy the transom too much, in case you have to back the way it was!

I only planned on drilling 6-8 holes 10mm, 4 of those being normal transom mount holes as that is where the reinforced hull supports are in the inside than 1 or 2 for each side of the pod with reinforcing on the inside

Probably an easier option might be a 12" jacking plate is this considered boat length? Still like the pod idea but i am going to sell both my motors and possibly buy a long shaft i have a keen eye on a 4 banger

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Probably an easier option might be a 12" jacking plate is this considered boat length? Still like the pod idea but i am going to sell both my motors and possibly buy a long shaft i have a keen eye on a 4 banger
    easiest way is to just build up the existing transom. fitting a jacking plate will not only look weird, but won't stop the water flooding in over the transom cut out. plus you will have to brace the transom more, as there is no well which would help for strength and rigidity!

I have some pictures i will try get some quotes on a SS to LS transom fill in failing that i will use a jacking plate but i will also raise the transom level 5" but the jacking plate will be bolted to existing SS bracing i think this is the best way without losing a 50hp Honda

i looked at the motor weights as u guys were suggesting to toss a 50hp Yamaha 2 Stroke on it they weigh around the 80kg mark the Honda is 90kg I'll move the fuel tank up the front to compensate if needed

I have some pictures i will try get some quotes on a SS to LS transom fill in failing that i will use a jacking plate but i will also raise the transom level 5" but the jacking plate will be bolted to existing SS bracing i think this is the best way without losing a 50hp Honda

i looked at the motor weights as u guys were suggesting to toss a 50hp Yamaha 2 Stroke on it they weigh around the 80kg mark the Honda is 90kg I'll move the fuel tank up the front to compensate if needed
    if your looking at an older honda 50hp, i think they're around the 100kg mark. I guess you need to work out how much you will use, to work out if you can get away with a 2st.

What i should have asked is how would u go about building up the transom? I am lacking ideas

ive been off the fishing forums for 3 and a bit years and gazza is still mucking round with old boats
    mate just save up for something decent and be happy with it as it is

how did that glass over ply boat go that you were building

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    ive been off the fishing forums for 3 and a bit years and gazza is still mucking round with old boats
    mate just save up for something decent and be happy with it as it is

how did that glass over ply boat go that you were building
    I wasn't born into money Steve so thanks for your concern, I am still building the composite boat life is not a rush man

What i should have asked is how would u go about building up the transom? I am lacking ideas
    just build up the the 5" required with the right profile square or rectangle box section, and/or plate each side, over lapping the join.
    if you just plate each side, make sure it filled with something, so it doesn't crush when bolting up the motor!

I wasn't born into money Steve so thanks for your concern, I am still building the composite boat life is not a rush man
    Steve has a point. Pods, jacking plates, bow sprits etc. Unless you have the equipment and can do it all yourself, the costs will blow out, and it won't add any value!

nothing about being born into money
    just you have spent a lot stuffing around with old rubbish where i fyou had pooled i tall you would have a nice reasonable reliable boat by now

sleeving old engines trying to weld 30 year old ally is just futility

paid a k to sleeve 4 cyclinders once waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    Steve has a point. Pods, jacking plates, bow sprits etc. Unless you have the equipment and can do it all yourself, the costs will blow out, and it won't add any value!
    I do have a bit of equipment mate enough so to make those 3 things plus the higher rail, i just think Steve is trying to start a point rather than state one

a lot of people fear projects but not everyone can be put in the same basket, it is all to easy to judge

Steve by the way i have owned nice boats over the years and this old Quintrex might not be up your ally but it doesn't have to suit you.

have a nice evening Steve

Picked up the new motor this afternoon if it works on the boat i'm going to love it, the tilt and trim i have only had on two previous boats this will be the third, fuel economy should be good on the old girl light hull and a 25hp planes her with 4 on board so the 45hp Honda I'm hopping planes at half throttle

for the transom i am going to try use 2 inside and 2 outside layers of 4mm sheet/plate 6061 i still have half a sheet left over from a bait tank i built which will go into this boat i will see if it pans out, i took some measurements the Honda's mounting brackets are i think 40x40cm so a majority of that 40cm in height is below the SS transom height i was worrying the motor may be too tall on the transom

the motor won't be too tall for the transom, that same hull came out as a long shaft at least as early as 1977!