Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scaling Whiting

Scaling Whiting

Could someone kindly outline the technique of scaling whiting by dragging it behind the boat? What kind of bag's best, how many fish at one time, speed, how many mins before it's done, etc? How thorough is this method, any scales left? Thanks.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Re: Scaling Whiting

Much better job if you use a washing machine drum turned on its side and rotated slowly with a hose running splashing from the outside top.
    You also need to make a door that covers the hole that used to be the top before you turned it on its side.

Use some distance ie longer belt, so the electric motor stays dry.

Check after a minute or so, too long and you get minced fish.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks Chimo. Before I make any modification, I'll just do a test run in my missus' Miele tomorrow and see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Much better job if you use a washing machine drum turned on its side and rotated slowly with a hose running splashing from the outside top.
    You also need to make a door that covers the hole that used to be the top before you turned it on its side.

Use some distance ie longer belt, so the electric motor stays dry.

Check after a minute or so, too long and you get minced fish.

Cheers
    Chimo
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme5 View Post
    Thanks Chimo. Before I make any modification, I'll just do a test run in my missus' Miele tomorrow and see how it goes.
    use the gentle wash cycle, energy saving mode on

Can't say I could be bothered pulverising an easy fish to scale like a Whiting, by towing it behind the boat in a bag, that said, those scaling bags do work, just not my thing I guess.

I wonder if the Miele dishwasher has a cycle one could use?
    What could go wrong.......................

A mate set up a series of fan sprays to connect to the hose for scaling whiting.
    Mounted in a piece of 90mm storm water pipe with the fan jets all facing in and down full perimeter.
    Simply grab the fish by the tail with a pair of pliers and lower it into the pipe and retrieve it straight away.
    Each fish was done in about 5 seconds and no mess.
    He had pretty good mains water pressure there.
    Jack.

Been using a scaling bag for winter/diver whiting for decades. Works a treat.

Done properly the fish is undamaged and completely scaled.

Make sure you get a strong small-mesh bag.

I put 20-30 whiting in, head first, at a time. 40 would be the absolute max. Then fold the top of the bag over and tie with the tow rope carefully, using several half hitches. I put the rope thru the top loops on the bag and tie it, then when the fish are loaded in, fold the top over about 150mm and then do the half hitches. If you dont do this, the whiting will bounce forward and fall out of the top of the bag.

Tie off to a stern corner cleat and have your deckie watch it carefully.

I tow the bag so it bounces along the front of the V wake behind the boat, at 20-25km/hr. About 1.5 minutes is a good time, add a bit more for larger lots, but no more than 2 minutes. I time it on my watch because guessing leads to either underscaled or beheaded fish LOL! And you will be surprised how long 90 seconds is and how far you go!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Good question, I'll check with the Miele Shop tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    I wonder if the Miele dishwasher has a cycle one could use?

Thanks ML, you should do a YouTube video on this. Will definitely try this next time out, provided I catch enough whiting to fill the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Been using a scaling bag for winter/diver whiting for decades. Works a treat.

Done properly the fish is undamaged and completely scaled.

Make sure you get a strong small-mesh bag.

I put 20-30 whiting in, head first, at a time. 40 would be the absolute max. Then fold the top of the bag over and tie with the tow rope carefully, using several half hitches. I put the rope thru the top loops on the bag and tie it, then when the fish are loaded in, fold the top over about 150mm and then do the half hitches. If you dont do this, the whiting will bounce forward and fall out of the top of the bag.

Tie off to a stern corner cleat and have your deckie watch it carefully.

I tow the bag so it bounces along the front of the V wake behind the boat, at 20-25km/hr. About 1.5 minutes is a good time, add a bit more for larger lots, but no more than 2 minutes. I time it on my watch because guessing leads to either underscaled or beheaded fish LOL! And you will be surprised how long 90 seconds is and how far you go!

Only way to go. I usually tow them at 30 k for about 2 minute. Saves so much time

Is there a special bag to get to reduce the trial and error involved?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just been informed that apparently tackle shops sell "Scaling Bags" for this very purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by stufishing View Post
    Is there a special bag to get to reduce the trial and error involved?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

One of the major points is the swivel between the boat and the bag, bigger the better.(must have)

Never used a swivel or a float. Unnecessary complications IMO.

4 minutes is way too long for diver whiting.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....