Thread: Minn Kota on 650 surtees

Minn Kota on 650 surtees

Hi everyone
    Looking to get a Surtees 650 cabin. Has anyone had experience with minn Kota on these? I'm investigating bow mount if 80lb 60inch version. Can be factory fitted but I'm just not sure if they work well in that size boat. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my XT1580 using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Minn Kota on 650 surtees

This is a local 7m Mclay with a 112pound. I see him everywhere with it. Works well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Smith,

Thanks for the photo.
    Which version of MK would you recommend for 6m plate boat ? it has tall bow.

Thanks.

I'd say 80lb will do the job. It is all about if you want auto deploy and then you need 36V so then you need 3 batteries and the price really starts to blows out. 80lb you only need 2 batteries but you'd have to go up the front to lift it and deploy it but then it also opens up other brands like Motor Guide instead of just Minn Kota.

I would go 80lb 72 inch shaft manual deploy. Extra shaft length will help in choppy weather.

I've got an 80lb (60" shaft) on a Barcrusher 615WR (CC) & I think it is getting close to the limit for spotlocking in any current - plus it still blows out with a bit of wind wave
    Personally I would be looking at going to a bigger 36 vlt system with 72" shaft The cabin will act like a big sail & even a few knots of wind will have the leccy running at 8-10s limiting your anchoring time. For the coin you are going to spend , spend a bit more & you will have what you need up your sleeve.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

My advice is wait. Dont buy an ulterra but you may well need a 72 inch shaft for that boat which at present are only available in a 110 ulterra. Manual deploy 72 inch 110's will be here later in the year.

I have just purchased a 24v 80lb 72" shaft Terrova from Bills Marine in Cairns and I had the option to buy a 36v 72" shaft if I wanted to. They have the shafts changed from the 60" to 72". Had to wait about a week if I wanted this.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    My advice is wait. Dont buy an ulterra but you may well need a 72 inch shaft for that boat which at present are only available in a 110 ulterra. Manual deploy 72 inch 110's will be here later in the year.
    Hi Kc. Isn’t there already ultrrra 112 lb with 72inch from bluebottle marine or BLA ?

I guess the version called ultrex is more robust based on my research. What u reckon ?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    I have just purchased a 24v 80lb 72" shaft Terrova from Bills Marine in Cairns and I had the option to buy a 36v 72" shaft if I wanted to. They have the shafts changed from the 60" to 72". Had to wait about a week if I wanted this.

TMC
    Do you have cat boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I've got an 80lb (60" shaft) on a Barcrusher 615WR (CC) & I think it is getting close to the limit for spotlocking in any current - plus it still blows out with a bit of wind wave
    Personally I would be looking at going to a bigger 36 vlt system with 72" shaft The cabin will act like a big sail & even a few knots of wind will have the leccy running at 8-10s limiting your anchoring time. For the coin you are going to spend , spend a bit more & you will have what you need up your sleeve.

Chris
    Hi Chris. Thanks for your share. Is that hard to make install plate myself or need a welding job for plate ?

I have bow rail that is obstacle to install. It is such a gear that I like to install but few huddles are pain in my head.

1. Setup install plate.
    2. Tall bow height problem.

[QUOTE=boating;1642407]Do you have cat boat ?
    Not anymore, used to have a center console 5.6 Bruce Harris Sharkcat.

TMC

There was a thread a while back - initially started by KC (I think) about fitting a Minn Kota to a quite large offshore rig. Might have some good info in it. From memory he had issues with the auto stow/deploy and water intrusion. Don't remember the outcome.

This pic from the Seafarer facebook pageSeafarer Minn Kota Install.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by boating View Post
    Hi Chris. Thanks for your share. Is that hard to make install plate myself or need a welding job for plate ?

I have bow rail that is obstacle to install. It is such a gear that I like to install but few huddles are pain in my head.

1. Setup install plate.
    2. Tall bow height problem.

the barcrusher has a plate already & looks very neat ........

It would be a pain to get a boat modified but in all seriousness for my money an electric motor with spot lock would be second only to a good sounder set up. Once you start to use it you'll wonder how we ever fished without one.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO