Thread: Outboard Cowl Covers

Outboard Cowl Covers

What's people's thoughts, are they a good investment or are they a waste of money ?
    Bearing in mind the engine was about $20k brand new 1 year ago.
    I'm looking at a genuine brand (Merc) one that can be left on the motor while on the water as well as when the boat is stored off the water. It's $360.
    There are cheaper ones (not OE) available but they specify only for storage not for use while on the water.
    Currently I have just been keeping the cover cleaned and polished.

Thanks
    Jamie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Re: Outboard Cowl Covers

I had an OCA cover on an optimax in the past it dulled the compressor sound from the Opti a fraction and kept bait juice off the paint. Worth the $$$? I don’t know.
    I intend to put one on the etec but it has not reached top of priority list as yet.
    I see ocean south now make model specific leave on covers for most engines but have not seen one in the flesh. Around $120 I think but could be wrong.
    Until then a quick spray with quick detailer after each trip seems to be keeping it in good nick.

It was my pleasure being no help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchy001 View Post
    I had an OCA cover on an optimax in the past it dulled the compressor sound from the Opti a fraction and kept bait juice off the paint. Worth the $$$? I don’t know.
    I intend to put one on the etec but it has not reached top of priority list as yet.
    I see ocean south now make model specific leave on covers for most engines but have not seen one in the flesh. Around $120 I think but could be wrong.
    Until then a quick spray with quick detailer after each trip seems to be keeping it in good nick.

It was my pleasure being no help at all.
    Ha ha ha Marchy that's my predicament.
    At least you have enlightened me to some other options so thanks

If you're not sure about a cover, which you can drive with, you could just get a total cover for when it's parked in the yard which is probably 85% of the time and only 20% of the cost.

well worth getting keeps the salt, blood and any corrosives off and also sheilds against UV light , preserves the stickers longer and will polish up brand new again if you plan on selling the boat, im only speaking for black coloured engines mainly as there more prone to fade or peeling of the clear coat.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    well worth getting keeps the salt, blood and any corrosives off and also sheilds against UV light , preserves the stickers longer and will polish up brand new again if you plan on selling the boat, im only speaking for black coloured engines mainly as there more prone to fade or peeling of the clear coat.
    Thanks catshark, so after each outing (on the water) do you need to remove the cover and rinse the saltwater between the cover and the cowl ?

yes after every trip i strip the cover and hose of hard cover and rinse soft cover in bucket clean water, its more work for me but i dont mind if its too preserve the appearance, my soft cover has some white fabric on the inside, it drys so quick i place soft covers back on within like 20 minutes.

First trip out with a new motor and a couple of newbies along for the ride, heard a thunk and there was a snapper lead hitting the new cowl, decision made on the spot. I pull mine off probably twice a year, I do use a vynil protector on the cover which seems to help repel bait etc.

I got the Merc cover. Fits like a glove. Worth the expense when you're not worrying about UV, salt, sunscreen hand prints, sinkers, line & fish touching it.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    What's people's thoughts, are they a good investment or are they a waste of money ?
    Bearing in mind the engine was about $20k brand new 1 year ago.
    I'm looking at a genuine brand (Merc) one that can be left on the motor while on the water as well as when the boat is stored off the water. It's $360.
    There are cheaper ones (not OE) available but they specify only for storage not for use while on the water.
    Currently I have just been keeping the cover cleaned and polished.

Thanks
    Jamie

I also bought an OCA cowl cover for an Optimax.

I only used it when I went on holidays as the boat would be in the water for a week or 2 but, it was well worth the money and fit perfectly.

I also bought a full length cover from OCA at the same time that I would but on the motor when it was on the trailer, again worth the money, fit perfectly and when I sold the boat the motor still looked like new!

Have bought many from OCA. Always a perfect fit. All of their splash covers can be left on when in use. Worth every cent if you don't want to damage your incredibly expensive cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by scrotty View Post
    Have bought many from OCA. Always a perfect fit. All of their splash covers can be left on when in use. Worth every cent if you don't want to damage your incredibly expensive cowl.
    Ok thanks I will try the OCA
    Jamie

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.