Hi all,

With a weekend not dominated by rain, it was time to get out and have a serious fish for whiting. The first port of call was a location at Paradise Point. It generally holds plenty of fish, but it has plenty of run. This is not usually a bad thing, but at this spot nine times out of ten the run is full of weed. It didn't disappoint with more weed than a Friday night in Nimbin. Both Max and I got our PB of weed, and I got a pile that must of been about 3kg (wet weight) that took line in the current. There were a couple of whiting mixed in with the salad. Yabbies were the the best bait on this occassion.

We followed up the morning session with a later afternoon trek to the Nerang River. Specifically to a spot at Chevron Island which I refer to as either the "Pancake Manor" due to the amount of stingrays present or the "Ant Farm" due to the high probability of being bitten by a variety of ant species. Often the best bite there is from a green ant. The stingrays didn't disappoint with a three out of the first four fish being stingrays and the other being a long finned catfish eel. Not a great start but persistence paid of with a good burst of whiting at dusk and into the evening. Cribb Island worms did the trick here. The best fish for the trip was only 33cm, but most were between 29 and 33cm. We ended up with a fair haul.

The light got too poor to record any useable footage after awhile, but the highlight in my opinion is at the end of the video when a very excited Max deals with a double hook up of a 32 and 33cm fish.

You sometimes hear that you can't catch fish land based in the Nerang, but that is not true. While public access to the foreshore is limited, there are still various locations to get a feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTyqVLLTHDc