Thread: How to come in thru a bar the wrong way..

How to come in thru a bar the wrong way..

Neat vid on how not to..............

https://www.instagram.com/p/Baz5WKWlIrv/
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: How to come in thru a bar the wrong way..

Ooh, nasty. Fine entry, breaker up the bum and a long boat in a short sea are not good combination

That went wrong quick!

bad boat design I reckon. Just had no lift in the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay View Post
    That went wrong quick!

bad boat design I reckon. Just had no lift in the bow.
    Bow won't lift when the stern is being lifted by a swell or traveling down hill. Looked to me like he had a bit of a brown undie moment when he came over the top of the first one and then backed right off allowing it to play catch up. May have been ok if he had got back on the throttle once she came level after the first one.

I made the mistake of total lift off after coming over a wave only once, lucky it was only in 2m swell. Two skid marks in one action, lol.

Now i have never crossed a bar before, but i could tell he made a big mistake letting the wave catch up to him..

this opens up a question about underpowered boats making bar crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I made the mistake of total lift off after coming over a wave only once, lucky it was only in 2m swell. Two skid marks in one action, lol.

Now i have never crossed a bar before, but i could tell he made a big mistake letting the wave catch up to him..

this opens up a question about underpowered boats making bar crossings.
    You should try doing it in a yacht where you dont have the pleasure of large engines!! I have turned dingies and small sailing cats upside down on many occasions doing exactly the same thing.

I think if you take a look at that boat in the video, there is a lot of stuff in the bow, probably does not help.

How to come in thru a bar the wrong way..

Also looks like the outgoing tide was what really messed up the incoming swell. Messy all round.
    Too risky for me.
    It can be difficult to assess as you’re approaching the crossing to, in messy swell like that.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

The story goes he is a local pro fisho coming in with a full box. It was all over when he popped over the first wave which was doubling up on the smaller one in front. You could see he didn’t even try to power out as he knew he was broaching and out of level. Run out tides suck.

Can believe how quick she sunk guessing no foam flotation or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Ausfish Platinum Member

Most of those big yank CC's are fully foam filled. Don't think your foam filled deck will keep you fully above water when it is being dragged by current and pummelled by waves. You can see the still showing, tide was doubtless sucking it down.

Bad driving but no reflection on the driver as he may have 'got away with it' hundreds of times in the past.
    I bet he won't do it again.

perhaps made a error in his timing looks like he may have just hammerd in looking at the wake behind him ,bow is heavy or hull too fine entry for conditions, entrance crossing looks unpredictable too.

While there is some driver error here.
    The boat type and weight up front significantly reduces his margin for error. Not much room for a mistake with such low freeboard and probably half a ton catch up front

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Esky floated pretty well. Also looks like some one came out with a surf board to save him.

It was a longboat. The narrow beam to length, low sides and lack of rocker all wouldn't have helped. Nice surfboard guy just getting off. It's amazing the footage we get now.