Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tackle recommendation

Tackle recommendation

Hi All

I'm going through the process of upgrading / renewing my offshore tackle. I've pretty well been out of these scene for the last 20 years & when I have fished I've just adapted my barra gear which is ok for shallower water & fishing for snaps but really showed up it's inadequacies on fish like Cobia when I fished Evans Head back in May. Now I'll be tackling kings & snapper on the NSW South Coast

So what I'm looking for (& I am fussy) is a

*30-50lb spin outfit which can be used on larger snapper in deeper water (baits) & have the guts if need be to tackle kings , cobia & mackerel ..... but not after a broomstick I generally like longer spin rods so 7'-7'10"

*30-50lb Overhead which can be used for deep livebaiting or floating a livey out the back .... Tuna , Cobes etc . It would be good if this outfit could also be used for dropping down jigs ...... not really into trolling but it could be used to run a big minnow when sounding out an area . I'm certainly struggling on this one

Note : I'll be using braid

OK so that's the picture - now what is out there that would be worth looking at . Price point would be approx $750-$1K each outfit.

Appreciate any advice

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Tackle recommendation

Hey Chris. Spinning reels have come a long way in recent years and handle big fish pretty well. Fellas on our boats have Penn, Fin Nor and SHimano. I've no reason to think Daiwa and other big brands would not go well. I personally use a Shimano Baitrunner D 12000 on an ugly stick and it works pretty well. 50lb platypus braid and Schneider leader.

Shame the ledgendary Cobiaman is no longer here as he would have all the answers.

IMO the modern baitrunners not a touch on the older models, I use a 20,000 Saragossa on a tcurve 10-15 which is slightly heavy but stops pretty much everything. Overhead i got a torsa which is fantastic but no longer available so talica perhaps or tyronos which is cheaper but again rather big and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Hey Chris. Spinning reels have come a long way in recent years and handle big fish pretty well. Fellas on our boats have Penn, Fin Nor and SHimano. I've no reason to think Daiwa and other big brands would not go well. I personally use a Shimano Baitrunner D 12000 on an ugly stick and it works pretty well. 50lb platypus braid and Schneider leader.
    Thanks Sheik

Much respect for Daiwa & Shimano ........ I actually do own some "big gun" spin gear ...... but it's just that "BIG GUN" Stella 10000 , Saltiga 5500 Expedition with a couple of Saltiga popping & jig sticks - 50 & 80lb braid . Great if I'm chasing GT's , YFT or even big kings but I'm looking for what I would call med/heavy
    I've have some idea's but really keen to hear what is being used these days ..... certainly a big baitrunner is food for thought - just what size - I rate the Shimano Thunnus (have a 4000) & for my mind there is nothing like the baitrunner feature when straylining for snapper
    add that to my list

Ta again

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Shame the ledgendary Cobiaman is no longer here as he would have all the answers.

IMO the modern baitrunners not a touch on the older models, I use a 20,000 Saragossa on a tcurve 10-15 which is slightly heavy but stops pretty much everything. Overhead i got a torsa which is fantastic but no longer available so talica perhaps or tyronos which is cheaper but again rather big and heavy.
    Big outfit there Crunchy ...... hell I still feel that the Stella 10000 massive - are you running 50lb ?
    Been looking at the Talica .... pretty well at the top of the list - but considering the smaller jig type reels like the Shimano Ocea jigger , Saltiga or some of the other options out of the US or Japan ...... these reels all seem to have pretty good drag systems , more compact than the traditional game style reels. What's you thoughts on these ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

My go to for medium kings and general offshore is a 4500 saltiga wth 50 lb accudepth braid and a 10 kg egrell bear fishing rod but they aren’t available anymore ,but it’s my preferred option ... Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Good time to buy, all the big online stores have 15-20% off atm. Spin option you could go Saragossa / Terez combo for about $500. Or go what I have Catalina 4500 with Demon Blood 72mh for about $900. Awesome combo, light enough for snapper but man enough to stop big fish.

I havent used one but apparently there are big raps on the fin nor maraquesa overheads. Put one of these on a terez and it would be in your budget and you’d be sweet.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    My go to for medium kings and general offshore is a 4500 saltiga wth 50 lb accudepth braid and a 10 kg egrell bear fishing rod but they aren’t available anymore ,but it’s my preferred option ... Matt
    Thanks Matt

I wonder how many people would be using the Egrell s10 for just that ( It's pretty well ideal) shame they are not available (I have an S1 & S4)
    Saltiga would be a pretty good choice ..... but at over $1000 plus line - it's top shelf
    I have been using a 3500 Certate with 40lb ATC braid .on a 6-20lb Lucky Craft .... but that's really my barra frog & placcy rod ...... very soft in the tip & it really didn't work on the couple of the big cobes at Evans.
    Drag really needs to to be able to hit 10kg min - Daiwa Catalina 4500 will give 15kgs of drag ........ line capacity is less of a concern

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a couple of venom rods that I use for similar applications. 7ft spin pe 2-6 and a 6’6” pe 2-5 over head. Have stood up and recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Matt

I wonder how many people would be using the Egrell s10 for just that ( It's pretty well ideal) shame they are not available (I have an S1 & S4)
    Saltiga would be a pretty good choice ..... but at over $1000 plus line - it's top shelf
    I have been using a 3500 Certate with 40lb ATC braid .on a 6-20lb Lucky Craft .... but that's really my barra frog & placcy rod ...... very soft in the tip & it really didn't work on the couple of the big cobes at Evans.
    Drag really needs to to be able to hit 10kg min - Daiwa Catalina 4500 will give 15kgs of drag ........ line capacity is less of a concern

Chris
    You should see that rod jiggle on the tip with a live yakka or slimy on it then it loads up beautifully, I love that rod mate . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    Good time to buy, all the big online stores have 15-20% off atm. Spin option you could go Saragossa / Terez combo for about $500. Or go what I have Catalina 4500 with Demon Blood 72mh for about $900. Awesome combo, light enough for snapper but man enough to stop big fish.

I havent used one but apparently there are big raps on the fin nor maraquesa overheads. Put one of these on a terez and it would be in your budget and you’d be sweet.

Good luck.
    Haha ... I was just thinking Catalina - must have bumped into each other over the net

I had a look at the Terez 30-50lb yesterday - so yes put that on the list ....... Actually I should grab one from Coffs Harbour

Also heard some good things about the Fin- nor ...... back in the day I had a coupe of Fin-nor's (Tycoon & light) for my Tuna fishing
    thanks for the heads up

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    I have a couple of venom rods that I use for similar applications. 7ft spin pe 2-6 and a 6’6” pe 2-5 over head. Have stood up and recommend.
    I had my first look at Venoms when I went through Coffs last week ..... A bloke I know bought a couple of baitcasters for his PNG black bass trip recently.
    Question / Observation .... with the exception of being really light are you getting value for money ? ...... Are they worth the $500 when you consider for not a whole lot of coin more , you could buy a Millerod . Off the rack rods such as the Samurai's , Saltigas and the like also come into play. ..... It would be a tough call .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Probably a bit pricey now Nagg. I paid a tad over $400 for each from Pete at allround angler (Caboolture) a little while back.
    I have a couple of older saltiga rods that I bought second hand and rate the venoms over them. I see the newer 2016 saltiga rods are $750!

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Probably a bit pricey now Nagg. I paid a tad over $400 for each from Pete at allround angler (Caboolture) a little while back.
    I have a couple of older saltiga rods that I bought second hand and rate the venoms over them. I see the newer 2016 saltiga rods are $750!
    I've been looking a the Saltiga X range ..... & what I do like is the 2 piece configuration where it comes apart at the butt - very much like the original Samurai reactions & majorcraft crostage ....... that gives me the ability to stow them in my cross deck 2m rod locker . i will certainly finf a stockist in Sydney & have a look though .

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Talica 12 on a venom 6ft6 pe2-5 RLFV16 is a great combo. Run 50lb quality braid on it and there is not much you won't land.