Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tackle recommendation

Re: Tackle recommendation

I have quite a lot of reels over the years namely name brands and even so had a few problem ones in those. The small Fathoms I got were replacements for the 2 Daiwa Saltists and whilst they weren't a bad reel they had really big corrosion problems for the amount of use they had. Wouldn't touch the TLD's again but do like the Tynos, and whilst the Tynos's aren't a high end reel, they are OK for what you pay.

At the end of the day it's what makes you happy, feels right and stands up to the job that you bought it for. There are so many reels out there to choose from it's hard to decide, been trying to decide if I want a Daiwa Lexa HD400 or an Abu Toro Beast 60 for a high speed large baitcaster.

As I said before I have a couple of Penn Fathoms two 15's and a 30 which will do my mid rage fishing requirements for a while, only time will tell if they will last though but I have to be realistic in that they cost less than half the cost of the ones you are looking at, currently getting my newly acquired boat ready for boating toward X'mas so hopefully will test them out. If they aren't up to scratch then I don't have two much cash tied up in them, but so far they are looking good.

Either way whatever you get, do a post on their performance, good or bad, as it helps everyone with a general knowledge of different reels.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I have quite a lot of reels over the years namely name brands and even so had a few problem ones in those. The small Fathoms I got were replacements for the 2 Daiwa Saltists and whilst they weren't a bad reel they had really big corrosion problems for the amount of use they had. Wouldn't touch the TLD's again but do like the Tynos, and whilst the Tynos's aren't a high end reel, they are OK for what you pay.

At the end of the day it's what makes you happy, feels right and stands up to the job that you bought it for. There are so many reels out there to choose from it's hard to decide, been trying to decide if I want a Daiwa Lexa HD400 or an Abu Toro Beast 60 for a high speed large baitcaster.

As I said before I have a couple of Penn Fathoms two 15's and a 30 which will do my mid rage fishing requirements for a while, only time will tell if they will last though but I have to be realistic in that they cost less than half the cost of the ones you are looking at, currently getting my newly acquired boat ready for boating toward X'mas so hopefully will test them out. If they aren't up to scratch then I don't have two much cash tied up in them, but so far they are looking good.

Either way whatever you get, do a post on their performance, good or bad, as it helps everyone with a general knowledge of different reels.

Ed.
    Always happy to share my experiences - good or bad

It's always a difficult choice - specially wen there are so many options . I don't mind going left field & away from the big two .... but I have to say , generally if you buy their mid & higher end reels you usually cant go wrong The technology of the higher end reels often filters down to the second tier reels in the next generation.

Your thoughts on the TLDs is exactly what I have thought ..... they ae not made anywhere near to the standards as when they first came out in the 90s - I would touch one.

In the end - this is purchase (jig type reel) is a challenge .......

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Decided to bite the bullet today & go overhead hunting ..... there were a few reels in mind - Jigging Master Monster game (Pe4) , Okuma Metaloid , Shimano Ocea Jigger , Saltigas , Finnor Marqesa ..... .but had no idea on the rod

I have to say , you have to love playing with these tackle stores guys ..... specially which way they try to lead you - I gave them the brief 6-6ft 6" 30-50lb (no broom sticks) .. ..... I knew the rod was a hard pick
    Ended up going with a Daiwa Saltiga X PE3-4 (6ft)...... after being shown everything from swimbait to micro jigging rods

The reel was then chosen to match the rod ...... The wider spool reels like the finnor , Metaloid & Saltiga LDs were ruled out . The Ocea Jigger wasn't a patch on the Jigging Master - but it was the Saltiga 35N-SJ that won the day and seems to be a match made in heaven with the Saltiga X - I've found that the Saltiga X can punch above their weight so I spooled her up with 50 pound J braid (300m) .

I've tested the drag & she pulls 25lb off the reel ..... which is near enough to what I wanted 35N-SJ.jpg
    hopefully it wont be too long before I get the chance to stretch her legs . There are a couple of interesting features - like spool lock (click the button & the spool locks .... but you can wind . no ratchet but built in clicker when line is being taken . good spool control (so you could pitch baits) ..... it feels nice

Chris

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO