Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tackle recommendation

Re: Tackle recommendation

That’s great Chris thanks for doing that I really appreciate it. I haven’t seen these in my local stores and will need to buy on line so you have saved me buying the wrong reel. I was looking for a Daiwa 3000 size or Shimano 4000 size so it looks like the SW5000 might be the reel. Once again thanks for sending through the photos

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    That’s great Chris thanks for doing that I really appreciate it. I haven’t seen these in my local stores and will need to buy on line so you have saved me buying the wrong reel. I was looking for a Daiwa 3000 size or Shimano 4000 size so it looks like the SW5000 might be the reel. Once again thanks for sending through the photos
    Not a problem at all - Unless you've actually looked at them in the flesh it would be easy to get it wrong . I'm using the SW5000 as a 1 on 1 replacement for a 3500 Certate .
    Not too many places sell them (sadly) but I was fortunate enough to find a place in Western Sydney that did ........ and had a good chance to check them out before committing.
    I don't think you would be disappointed with them

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Nagg
    Daiwa BG5000 spin reel on a 24kg uglystik.
    Shimano TLD Star 20/40 with carbontex drag on a 24 kg uglystik.
    Both reels will pull 10kg of drag and love 50lb braid.

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Hi Nagg
    Daiwa BG5000 spin reel on a 24kg uglystik.
    Shimano TLD Star 20/40 with carbontex drag on a 24 kg uglystik.
    Both reels will pull 10kg of drag and love 50lb braid.
    Thanks Reggy - that's pretty rock solid gear right there . I have to say though unless I wanted some real knockabout gear (off the rocks) I've moved on in my expectations on what a blank should feel like & the rod overall - I actually like a light / crisp rod as opposed to a stump puller ..... If you know what I mean ...... hence the Venom & Saltiga X
    I had a bit of a look for the overhead .... it's a bit of coin but the Jigging master monster game reels look and feel fantastic - small reels with big drags .... They are at the top of the list (reel wise)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Nagg,

I have a alutecnos gorilla 12 on my venom 6’6” pe 2-5 over head rod. This reel would be my favourite and might be worth looking at to suit your needs.

Yes, I bought a Jigging Master PE5n and a PE8 about eight years ago. The 5 is great for reef fishing with 50 lb braid and I sold the 8 recently after never using it.
    The 5 and 8 had the same size gears, but bigger drags on the 8 of course.
    I never needed the extra drag or line capacity of the 8.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey Nagg,

I have a alutecnos gorilla 12 on my venom 6’6” pe 2-5 over head rod. This reel would be my favourite and might be worth looking at to suit your needs.
    on the list .....ta
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have been using an Okuma Metaloid 5S lately. Great little reel, weighs about 400g and holds about 400m of PE4. First Okuma I have ever owned. Feels tough as teak. You can get them for less than $300 from online stores. One in SA has them for $250. Worth a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    I have been using an Okuma Metaloid 5S lately. Great little reel, weighs about 400g and holds about 400m of PE4. First Okuma I have ever owned. Feels tough as teak. You can get them for less than $300 from online stores. One in SA has them for $250. Worth a thought.
    I will check them out .... Ta
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I also checked out the Metaloids 5's last year, nice reel but ended up with 2 Penn Fathoms 15's instead, got one in a single speed and the other a two speed as they were physically a little bit smaller than the Metaloids. I wanted a 2 speed Metaloid which Rapala don't bring into Oz so went for the Penns. The Metaloids do feel robust though, and the only way to get the 2 speed is to import from the states, 5IIR & 5IIB are the models being nice Red and Blue variants. The cheapest I have seen them is about AU$320 (E-Bay) delivered to here, the Penns at the time were about $215 and $275 on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I also checked out the Metaloids 5's last year, nice reel but ended up with 2 Penn Fathoms 15's instead, got one in a single speed and the other a two speed as they were physically a little bit smaller than the Metaloids. I wanted a 2 speed Metaloid which Rapala don't bring into Oz so went for the Penns. The Metaloids do feel robust though, and the only way to get the 2 speed is to import from the states, 5IIR & 5IIB are the models being nice Red and Blue variants. The cheapest I have seen them is about AU$320 (E-Bay) delivered to here, the Penns at the time were about $215 and $275 on sale.
    I was talking to a bloke who was using the Andros (2 speed) - & while he rated them ... for what he paid ($450ish) , wouldn't you throw a little bit more coin in and buy a Saltiga ?
    So many options ...... & price points

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It depends on whether the bloke thought that the Saltiga's were that much better than the Andros's for the extra coin. For myself, there comes a point where you have to decide on whether or not you want to spend 2 to 3 times plus more cash for a reel to catch some fish. Sure some reels have a nicer "feel" to them in the hand but that doesn't translate to catching more fish. So long as the reel does what it is supposed to do, feels nice, and you can live with the price you paid then it is just a preference thing.

For example, I have caught largish fish on a low profile baitcaster that only had a couple of bearings and whilst that reel had several short comings and could have had some improvements it still caught the same amount of fish as my more expensive reels. So having a very engineered reel won't guarantee more fish, it may be nicer to use, hold and last longer and providing that it is also suitable for the type of fish you want catch, but in the class of the Metaloid's, Andros's, Fathom's, Saltiga's ect., they are all high quality nice reels, so I don't think that you can buy a "wrong" model out of those.

Just whatever appeals to you and is within your budget. I have bought some very cheapo E-Bay overheads (sub $100) in the past as an experiment and couldn't get rid of them quick enough, not that I actually fished with them but because they just didn't feel right and felt cheap and nasty, having done so, I won't do that again and will pay 2-3 times that amount for a better reel, but 5-8 times more I doubt it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ed.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Nagg,

which saltiga over over head were you thinking about? I only ask because I believe a few are now not made in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    It depends on whether the bloke thought that the Saltiga's were that much better than the Andros's for the extra coin. For myself, there comes a point where you have to decide on whether or not you want to spend 2 to 3 times plus more cash for a reel to catch some fish. Sure some reels have a nicer "feel" to them in the hand but that doesn't translate to catching more fish. So long as the reel does what it is supposed to do, feels nice, and you can live with the price you paid then it is just a preference thing.

For example, I have caught largish fish on a low profile baitcaster that only had a couple of bearings and whilst that reel had several short comings and could have had some improvements it still caught the same amount of fish as my more expensive reels. So having a very engineered reel won't guarantee more fish, it may be nicer to use, hold and last longer and providing that it is also suitable for the type of fish you want catch, but in the class of the Metaloid's, Andros's, Fathom's, Saltiga's ect., they are all high quality nice reels, so I don't think that you can buy a "wrong" model out of those.

Just whatever appeals to you and is within your budget. I have bought some very cheapo E-Bay overheads (sub $100) in the past as an experiment and couldn't get rid of them quick enough, not that I actually fished with them but because they just didn't feel right and felt cheap and nasty, having done so, I won't do that again and will pay 2-3 times that amount for a better reel, but 5-8 times more I doubt it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ed.
    Ed - it's a fair call & goes to the heart of the old debate on how much do you need to spend or should you spend on fishing tackle . Yes I've seen & caught some really nice fish on some very basic tackle ...... I'll never argue that point .
    That said , I've pretty well tried to buy the best that I can afford at that particular time ( or was willing to save for) ... presently ,I'm lucky enough to be able to spend a bit more on gear .... & my mindset will always be value for money & bang for your buck ..... does it warrant spending more , sometimes much more

I questioned the Andros purchase because it wasn't cheap at $450ish ( another $100ish & you can grab a proven well regarded Saltiga) ..... now no disrespect to Okuma as they have come a long way in recent times but their reels are not designed as well or built as well as the likes of Daiwa , Shimano and many others ...... that's my take on the decision .......

Right now - since you mentioned baitcasters - I'm looking at Pflueger Patriach XT Handsome looking , High end , 10 bearings , Carbon handle ...... P.O.S The amount of upkeep required to keep it fishing was a pain - less than a year of service & I was over it ........ A example of a wannabe reel that just didn't cut it - & worst of all it was not too much cheaper than the Shimano / Daiwa 's that were along side it

Back to jig reels

This particular reel category ( compact overhead / jig reels) throws up some challenges (lots of choices) ..... and a big range of prices - from $250 - $1000+ But will a $250 reel be up to the task of fishing 15kgs of drag without going into meltdown or falling apart . ....... For me it will be buy well & buy once ...... I don't want to be in that situation where a reel seizes . I know I can spend the $500 - $750 & get not only a reel that will do the job , but do it well for a long time

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey Nagg,

which saltiga over over head were you thinking about? I only ask because I believe a few are now not made in Japan.
    I think the overheads are made in Taiwan or Thailand ....... but it's still in the own factories & not a contractor

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO