Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which Winch to buy??

Which Winch to buy??

This is a question that pops up here from time to time.
    Check out this test.
    https://vimeo.com/221334364?ref=fb-share&1
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Re: Which Winch to buy??

great to watch ..thanks....

What sort of tester (MTS) would even take on a test without all things being equal? Says a lot about MTS !

3 of the 4 winches tested have 1000w vs 500w.

What a joke and why even bother !

Gee i wonder who initiated the test...Lonestar perhaps.

This does nothing to enhance their brand in my opinion. Like putting a 4 cylinder car up against an 8 cylinder.

only complaint about that is they didn't do the Muir winch, my personal favourite.

fishing 111. while your point is taken the stress free mini 50 series , with the lower 500watts, it did very well with 29.5 cycles, and reset after without any damage.
    Pretty good going.
    David

It was apparently initiated by Lone Star Marine and using that 500w winch against 1000w winches was in fact the wrong thing to do.
    Not only that, all winches should have been sourced directly from the manufacturers themselves and not supplied by Lone Star who went and got them from somewhere else.
    Every winch should have been setup and wired up as per each manufacturers specifications and not one wire does all winches.
    No one can be sure that any of those winches were not tampered with prior to being dropped off for testing.
    I'd like to see it done again with all manufacturers involved in supplying and setting up their own winches on site in the NATA Lab and also run a series of water integrity tests on each winch as that it just as important for the longevity of any winch brand.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing111 View Post
    What sort of tester (MTS) would even take on a test without all things being equal? Says a lot about MTS !

What a joke and why even bother !

This does nothing to enhance their brand in my opinion. Like putting a 4 cylinder car up against an 8 cylinder.

Geez fishing 111, what type of thermometer got up your arse? The 500w stood up ok compared to the savwinch. It was the 50kg load test that tells the full story. The savwinch is for boats up to 6.5m with a 7 year warranty. Fishing111, you have got the wrong tail on this one.
    Just look at the stripped down motors and you can see which is well constructed.
    Yep, they are going to sell a shit load more GX2. I have owned a savwinch and i had no major problems. If I was to buy again today, there is absolutely no doubt which is far superior. Factor in the price difference and i know which is value for money, the GX2

Andy... what's up your arse mate? Just stating the facts that were presented at testing. If you find it hard to decipher my point then mate that's on you.

i dont see the big deal if any thing it proved that the 500w motor can pretty much keep up with the bigger guys? So if anything actually promoted there product better?
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Wouldn't be happy if I was the owner of Savwinch.
    He will probably be booking an appointment with his solicitor tomorrow!

Ausfish Silver Member

just happy my savwinch works great,but then I only use it to anchor

What a joke and why even bother

Geez, that's a bit strong 111

I found it informative, there were three to actually compare ! And you got a comparison between 500 watt and 1000
    note, that the manufacturers were supplying there second "lowest output" winch, for the testing.

Some serious negative towards a brand here, if you cant see any interesting data put up.

note, I own a stress free..........

Blacklab I just don't like stacked and biased testing, my view. Secondly I don't believe the manufacturers supplied anything, otherwise it would have been an equal playing field.

Thirdly Lonestar make a 600watt motor http://##############.com.au/elite-v...parison-guide/ so why not put that in the test?

The whole test was to make one brand look superior, however that is just my opinion. Nothing to do with second winch in the range bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    It was apparently initiated by Lone Star Marine and using that 500w winch against 1000w winches was in fact the wrong thing to do.
    Not only that, all winches should have been sourced directly from the manufacturers themselves and not supplied by Lone Star who went and got them from somewhere else.
    Every winch should have been setup and wired up as per each manufacturers specifications and not one wire does all winches.
    No one can be sure that any of those winches were not tampered with prior to being dropped off for testing.
    I'd like to see it done again with all manufacturers involved in supplying and setting up their own winches on site in the NATA Lab and also run a series of water integrity tests on each winch as that it just as important for the longevity of any winch brand.
    All winches were supplied direct from the manufacturers or there retailers....Lonestar did not supply them !
    They may have bought them themselves !! LOL but the same as every punter on the street
    why do people try to blatantly invent happenings for the sake of a post.

no disapproval has been lodged on the actual testing procedure and protocol of the said tests.
    People,, companies have been doing comparison tests since Adam was a lad.
    Good on Lonestar, if he did instigate it, doing what an owner of an Australian product should do Spruke his product.

Blacklab I just don't like stacked and biased testing, my view. Secondly I don't believe the manufacturers supplied anything, otherwise it would have been an equal playing field.

Thirdly Lonestar make a 600watt motor http://##############.com.au/elite-v...parison-guide/ so why not put that in the test?

The whole test was to make one brand look superior, however that is just my opinion. Nothing to do with second winch in the range bullshit otherwise Lonestar would have put up there 600 watt model.
    I wouldn't be accusing anyone of blatantly biased testing.
    as stated, it was every manufacturers 2nd lowest powered winch.
    the common denominator here was probably trying to get some sort of even playing field
    do bell or Sav make a 500-600 watt winch ????? serious question ?
    there were 3 equal playing field tests of winches with 1000 watt motors, 3 out of 4, do stress free make a 1000 watt ???